Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1 
GradStudent

New here!!!

Hey everyone,

I have had over 5 bettas within the past 7 years, most have lived healthy lives with the exception of one I received as a "free pet" at my college during welcome week... Currently, I have one betta named Zaza who is living in the lap of luxury in his own filtered and heated tank. Complete with his own castle!

I am a graduate student in School Psychology so Zaza is my awesome desk friend who helps me destress. Guess you can say I have a therapy fish! I'll attach a picture, I just wanted to introduce myself.

Last edited by GradStudent; 09-13-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Link didn't work...
GradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

RHODE ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!! Uhhh hi! lol which college are you a grad student of?

Your boy is pretty! Although it looks like he's got some issues with his double tail there, perhaps some fin rot in the past or something?

Either way, glad to have you here and welcome to the forum! Yeah, I'm glad I didn't see the "free pet" Betta's that our school did two years ago....I don't think I would be able to contain myself. Out of all the people who had gotten them, I think only one that I know of actually survived. I wish they'd stop doing that and promoting that they can live in tiny bowls, unheated and unfiltered. Unfiltered sure, but unheated? That's just wrong. Anyway, I'll stop my rant now heh
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #3 
GradStudent

I'm over at URI- did undergrad there as well. I did notice that about his tail... it was like that when I bought him from the pet store. I will definitely look into it. He moves around so much its hard to get a good look at if its changed. That was the first day I bought him...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh awesome! I'm currently a undergrad at URI as well haha, perhaps we know each other in passing

Ah okay, so has his tail grown much at all since then? How often do you do water changes if I might ask? If it's possible and he still has tail issues, you might want to look into doing more water changes to keep him healthy
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #5 
GradStudent

Its been about two weeks since I've gotten him... I think his color has gotten better around those areas, not so brown... I do every other week- partial and full... so it'll be Partial at the end of week A, full at the end of week B, partial week C, full week D, etc. does that make sense?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes it does but...well how big of a tank is this?

All tanks, regardless of size needs to have at least one water change done to it PER week, every other isn't going to help. There are many reasons we have to do weekly water changes, one is to take out dissolved and non-dissolved organic compounds which includes fish waste both solid and not. Fish not only poop but they do urinate, not in the way we think of it but they basically excrete ammonia from their gills which then goes into the water. Also food waste that he might not eat or miss, that also needs to be taken out.

And not just taking out things but we're also replenishing the minerals that naturally occur in the water. Just like humans, fish get their minerals and some vitamins from their water (other's are supplemented) and eventually they are used up and we need to replenish them by adding water in, so it's just more convenient to replenish the water along with doing water changes since you do need to take things out as well.

From the look of it, it looks to be a 2.5 gallon? You said filtered, do you know about the Nitrogen cycle at all?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #7 
GradStudent

Its 1.5 gallons... I do understand the Nitrogen cycle in terms of good BB..when I do a full tank change I normally take everything out and clean the gravel and check the filter cartridge. Partial i skim and will pick out pieces (my betta is a pig so there is never extra food... I don't really feed him too much iether. just what he can eat)

Sorry if i'm so absent minded on this post- i'm also writing a grad paper too lol

I was always told partial is good to do so you don't completely wipe out the good BB, which is why i do partial one week then full the next. How can I improve???
Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh great! That's good ^_^ makes me explaining things a little easier and I don't have to write an entire essay either haha. Although I've gotten better at simplifying it down to just colonizing a group of BB lol

(No worries, I'm actually working at CBLS while I'm on here XD)

And you're right, doing a full or 100% water change can harm the BB in the tank. BB is extremely adhesive and you can't really rub it off but there are two things that can kill it: Tap water with chlorine in it (so whenever you want to swish out the cartridge, use old tank water or new water that's already been conditioned) and drying out. BB is not only in your filter but on the tank walls, the gravel and any surfaces that exist in your tank.

Do you have a gravel vacuum to use on the tank? Aqueon has a nice small 4 inch one that you can get that's great for small tanks! I can give you a link for one if you do need/want one. So basically you just don't want to clean the surfaces of your tank with tap water or let them dry out, not that you have lots of BB in there with just one fish, but it's still the fact of the matter.

If you can, and I know grad's are super busy often, at least switch to doing one if not TWO 50% changes in a week. So say one 50% Wednesday night and another 50% on Saturday. This makes it so that you don't have to do a 100%, but you're still cleaning the gravel/fish waste/and other organic compounds out while still replenishing the water. It will keep him healthier and it will also keep diseases at bay if the water is clean and trust me, diseases are a pain in the butt and way too stressful to deal with when in full time college/work/grad/undergrad all of that. My entire sorority right now is sick with some Columnaris that's untreatable with the older antibiotics that I have so I had to get a newer Anti-biotic called Kanamycin aka: KanaPlex by SeaChem. So that's been extremely stressful for the last week and a half and can only imagine how that would be if I had an entire dissertation or thesis to work on! Granted it's easier with only one fish as opposed to the 29 that I have...but...yeah you know XD

So anywho, twice a week will be the best thing for him and his healing tail. Also you use water conditioner I assume? If so, what kind? There's one called Stress Coat that contains aloe vera that will actually help damaged fins regenerate and heal up so that might be something good to look into as well
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #9 
GradStudent

Thanks for all the info! I use betta safe- the water in my town is highly chlorinated so I make sure to condition the week before I need new water (also gets it to room temperature) and only use that. I need a couple more gallon jugs to make this easier as right now I have just one. I will definitely look into the vacuum too and will work on the 50/50 changes twice a week.

29 fish? Jealous. my family would kill me if I had that many... one is already causing enough stress for me dad >.<

I'd bring them to my boyfriends but he has a cat who is way too nosy for his own good and it would be a disaster!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Glad to help! Feel free to PM me anytime something comes up or just need help with something, I'm almost always on

So you also age your water when you condition it? Aging is just letting it sit out for 24 or more hours. If you have conditioner you can take it right from the tap and add the conditioner and then immediately put it into the tank, just an FYI It's one of the reasons we created conditioner! I'd definitely say it's a god-send for sure! Also if you have troubles getting the tap water to the appropriate 78-80 degree's, you can take a glass thermometer (1.12 or something like that from wal-mart) and run it under the tap and once the water stablizes it can read accurately and you can get accurate 78-80 degree water straight from your tap, condition it and put it straight into his tank

Oh and yes, Betta Safe is fine to use! I like API products and SeaChem products; you might want to look into Prime by SeaChem. That stuff is really great for getting rid of excess stuff in water like ammonia, nitrites, heavy metals, chlorine and chloramine and it's only a few drops per gallon. I've been using the API Tap Water Conditioner and it's 1 drop per gallon so I had a small 4-5 oz bottle last me an entire year which is super nice, especially when college takes up all your money haha.

Yeah..29 and counting >.< I'm a little too addicted I think...but hey, better than a drug addiction right? lol That's what I tell my mom at least XD I've got cat's too but thankfully they listen to me when I tell them to scat or something. They generally just look at the fish and watch, occasionally will sniff the tank to see if they can get at the fish but so far no casualties!