Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #1 
Toliq

Hello from me and from Toliq!

Hi there!

I've been considering getting a betta for a couple of years now. Knowing this, a couple of friends of mine gifted me with/let me adopt their betta, who had been rudely chomping on the too-long fins of their other fish. So, here I am, trying to catch up as quickly as I can!

Toliq is a very pretty dark blue male who seems pretty happy in his new surroundings. He's very active, swimming around in his too-small tank, awaiting the 2.5 gallon tank that is being left overnight to Nutrafin-treat the tap water and let it warm up to the ambient temperature of ~77' or so.

I think I have everything in order, but I did want to say hello and run a few "am I doing this right?" questions by you. I gather from other threads in the forums that I should pick up a bottle of Prime (since the 2oz bottle of Nutrafin given to me won't last too long with a 2.5 gallon tank and regular 75% cleaning); a variety of Hikari tubifex worms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and Betta Bio-Gold; a cave (the ones at the store I'd been to seemed to have jagged edges, which I didn't want to risk Toliq's fins on); a mini Hydor heater to boost the 77' ambient temperature up to the low-to-mid-80's; a tank thermometer; and a pH test kit.

The tank so far: (Bear in mind that the water level is a bit low to accommodate the water I'll be pouring in from Toliq's current tank when I transfer him.)

Testing pH - what happens if the water is too basic or too acidic? How would I be able to correct it?

What's an ADF? I'd love to add a little more life to the tank, once I learn the care of snails and shrimp.

And lastly, how do you get such clear, beautiful pictures? I've had no luck getting anything but grainy and washed-out!

I welcome your advice and thoughts. Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Toliq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #2 
Eolith

If the pH is being a pill, there's little bottles of solution that you can get at the pet store that will adjust it. It's usually in a bottle called either 'pH Up' or 'pH Down'. All you have to do is get the one appropriate for you. For example, the water that I have here is always way too basic, so I have to use about 10 drops of 'pH Down' for every three gallons of water that I put in.

An ambient temperature of 77 is perfectly fine. I don't really think that you need a heater if it stays steady at that temp. The recommended temp is anywhere from 72-82 degrees I believe... so 77 is a comfortable mid-ground.

An ADF is an African Dwarf Frog. If you're interested in getting one eventually, I suggest that you make a specific thread about it in the Betta Compatibility board where people can give you their thoughts/advice on whether you ought to get one... or any other tank companion. Of course, if your betta is known for being mean to other fish, it may not be a great idea to give him any 'friends'.

Your tank looks beautiful. I love the three rocks stacked in the middle. The bubbles will go away gradually on their own, which ought to help with picture clarity... otherwise I can't say that I have a ton of advice. Sometimes it depends on what type of camera you have.

Finally, you may or may not absolutely need to put a cave in there for him. It looks like there's enough plants in there for him to find a cozy spot to hang out in and feel safe.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #3 
kelly528

Cool setup! To answer your questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliq View Post
Testing pH - what happens if the water is too basic or too acidic? How would I be able to correct it?
I wouldn't worry about ph period. They say the worst pH to keep a betta in is an unstable one. Bettas agree with pretty much any reasonable pH so unless your water is in the extremes I wouldn't muck around with pH at all.

Quote:
What's an ADF? I'd love to add a little more life to the tank, once I learn the care of snails and shrimp.
African Dwarf Frog. If you want tankmates I would suggest a 5g or larger tank. 2.5g is prefect for a betta but that's about it.

Quote:
And lastly, how do you get such clear, beautiful pictures? I've had no luck getting anything but grainy and washed-out!
Experimentation lol!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #4 
Toliq

Thank you very much, Kelly and Eolith, for your thoughts!

Played with the pH a little bit and dropped it from 7.4 to 7.1. A fish enthusiast friend of mine recommended (if I really wanted to mess around with pH) getting it to 6.7 or 6.8, since the betta will be just as happy and the slightly acidic water will weaken or kill bacteria. I'll keep this chemical-to-water ratio for now, and try dropping it slightly again after a couple of water changes.

Also decided to get a small filter that I'll run during the day when I won't be around to hear the buzz of the motor. It'll give a little leeway on timing if I can't change the water every week, is the thought. Obviously it's not a replacement for water-changing! Just nice to have on hand to change the water every 6-10 days, assuming the water stays clear. New to keeping tanks as I am, with experience I'll learn how fast algae and cloudiness build up.

Even though the ambient air temperature is so high, it doesn't transfer to the water very well, and the water has stayed around 69'. Since I had a heater anyway, I've added that now that I have a thermometer: the temperature has risen a degree in the last hour, and I'll keep an eye on it. Toliq seems delightfully happy in the new tank and has been actively exploring it, so though the temperature is lower than I'd want to keep it long-term, I think he'll do just fine as it warms up.

He definitely prefers hanging out near the tall plastic plant and where the heater and filter are, but he's a bold little creature and seems happy to explore the more open spots of the tank as well. Good call on not needing a cave: he seems happy even without one.

Thank you very much again for your input, both from me and from a well-kept Toliq. =)
Toliq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #5 
Eolith

Yeah, my pH is so high to start with that it isn't even on the color scale on the card that came with the testing kit. >_< I have to put in quite a bit of the pH Down just to get it to be around 7.

I'm glad that your betta buddy is doing so well. I'm sure that he has a fantastic new home.

Oh, and just as a side note, depending on the filter you get, they often make very little if any real noise at all. I've got two tanks with two running filters that run 24/7 in my dorm room. I study and sleep with them, and they are very quiet. There's just a soft tinkling of the water going back into the tanks and a quiet almost imperceptible hum of the motors running. I actually find it quite soothing. ;)

Last edited by Eolith; 01-06-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #6 
kelly528

Yeah the danger is that the bacteria living in your filter media (they're the ones that actually clean the water when it is filtered) will die within a few hours of being cut off from food and oxygen, rendering the filter useless from a biological standpoint. Your best bet is to simply buy a quiet filter. They are pretty well made in thise respect nowadays.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 
sunset

He is very pretty. Are you sure that the camera is focused before you take the picture?
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Congrats on your new buddy and welcome to the forum. You did a great job on the tank and are going to have one happy fishy.

Romad is offline   Reply With Quote