Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #1 
LurkerMom

Plants, tank and deco questions

Hi.

So I'm starting the setup of my Betta tank soon and wondering what type of decorations I should buy.

I heard that plastic plants can be harmful to long betta fins (I'm talking to a breeder now, I'm looking to get a crowntail and don't want him to be harmed by the deco!) (on that note, if you know any breeder in Canada, I'm still looking for more choices!)

I don't want live plants as I had too much trouble with them before in my bigger tank so I'm thinking silk, but I saw some very cool looking plastic... I'm just not sure if its safe!
What do you guys think?! any output on that?

I'm looking to get a 5 gallons for my future little guy (with a filter and a heater don't worry!) and give him enough plants and all. I'm not worried about taking a 5gallons already since I'm going with breeders... and I do hope that they don't put them in tiny jars for long...

So I'm really looking for suggestions, feedback and ideas here and most of all, inspiration! I already saw some amazing ideas in the picture pages ;) it gives me a clue to what I could do, but again, open to everything
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
NozzALa

Silk plants would be great, and there are a lot of nice looking ones, but if you take a plastic plant and run it through some hose, if it doesn't get torn at all by the plant then it's safe for a betta, at least that's what I've heard. I used to have plastic plants in mine and he did fine.

Overall it sounds like you have a great setup in the making, so your fish will definitely be happy.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 
Altearithe

I definitely recommend running some hose over the plastic plants if you're getting them. I didn't do it a few years back when I got my betta, Henri (his pic's my avi), and his tail got frayed and ripped and he got a tiny bit of fin rot. :( I think he also bit part of it off too; he didn't seem to like being a halfmoon. XD

I've since switched to a combo of safe plastic and silk plants for my current girl, Lumina, and she loves the silk ones more than the plastic plants. I'm slowly removing the plastic in favor of live or silk though.

If you do decide later on to try live plants again, I recommend marimo. :3 Low maintenance and safe for bettas as long as you QT it beforehand just in case there are hitch-hikers.

Also, don't forget caves. :3 All my bettas love hiding in them, so I bet yours would too.
Altearithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #4 
LurkerMom

Thanks!
Of course I'll also provide a cave, I'm looking for something that will really click though, so if I get the fish before he'll have to endure a coffee mug or something ;)

As for live plants, I'm really weary, I got overrun with snails last time and fast. so unless there's a way 100% sure and safe to get rid of them, I'm out hehe

I've been checking online for heaters, not much for small tanks that we can control the temp... that's sucks :(
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #5 
Altearithe

Great! I still have a tiny terra cotta pot with no drainage hole that my girl sometimes investigates. Henri was the one that loved it more though. So nothing wrong with a mug. ;3
My fiance found a mug shaped like a toilet if you're in for something whimsical. >w<

Oh my. D: How long did you quarantine them for? And with marimos, I hear a lowered dosage of salt is all right if there are any problems, but I'm not sure of other ways to get rid of snails that are 100% foolproof. >.<;

Yeah, there aren't too many good ones for small tanks. :( I chose an aqueon one that's for 5 to 20 gallon tanks or so and it's doing well; I have to dial it down a tad though since it heats up a bit too well. ^^;
But for smaller ones, I had a very baaaaaaaaad heater that wasn't adjustable at all and I think it made Henri sick. :(

So if you do decide a 5 gallon and that he can handle the size well, I recommend an adjustable heater like aqueon, though there were a few others that are good too. I think one was Fluval but I don't remember. :(

Edit:

By the way, here's my current set up. I don't have much for decorations, but Lumina doesn't seem to mind. XD I also have 2 giant marimo in quarantine bowls right now too and one in her tank that went through QT last year.

I don't know if it can give you any ideas with what types of decor you can get and use, but I hope it helps somewhat. :3
Attached Images

Last edited by Altearithe; 09-10-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #6 
LurkerMom

thanks for the feedback!
I went shopping around yesterday, found a couple of 5gallons that seemed ok though expensive for the size!
I'll check online and if there's an auction soon (there's a group that has actions twice a year for everything fish related, lots of breeders and whatnot)

When shopping though, I saw some adorable betta (halfmoon, regular and crowntail) at a local store... they seemed tiny, so I assume young? and somehow healthy, but stuck in tiny jars :(
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 
Altearithe

Late reply is late. >.<;

Oooh hopefully there will be an auction soon. :D I'm lookiing for a five gallon too, but they really do go for a lot, so I'm going to use a rubbermaid bin for a temporary tank for my marimo balls. >w<

The bettas could be either young or stunted from the stress of shipment/bowls. But if they're healthy that's pretty good for now. ^w^ It just kills me that they're on the shelf for so long. :(

Also, if you are getting a HM or so, I have heard that sometimes, not always but sometimes, they're scared of big tanks. :( Mine didn't like his 5 gallon sadly, but my female veiltail is loving the space. :3 So, I hope if you do get one that he'll like the size. :3
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

I love your giant marimo balls in their own bowls, lol!! I thought at first you just kept them like that, as though they were so huge they just needed their own personal tanks...and I totally laughed until I read that they were in QT. ;)

Go cruising around your local craft and home stores. I was doing themes until I started transferring over to NPT's, and I came up with Cherry Blossoms with Asian bridge, African with a big elephant and a hindu statue, lighthouses and shipwreaks, and Two Roads in a Yellow Wood. I started making all my own silk plants because I couldn't find ones I really liked any other way. You can DIY them using silk plants from craft and home stores, just use hotglue or aquarium sealant, and soak them for a few days to make sure they don't cloud or bleed into your water. So far I've had success with all of them that I've used, but I know Jada had some trouble with some that clouded. :) By doing them yourself you can create some really lovely looks that you can't get with manufactured items. :) I'll post pictures later tonight. :) (at work right now)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #9 
Altearithe

Oh my! XDD I am tempted to keep them there, but I won't. XD (They're over 3 inches in diameter too!)

Ooooh that's a very good idea. :D I can't wait to see the pictures. >w< I think LurkerMom will love to see them too.