Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #1 
iamnohs

Update (success!) and feeding question

Several days ago I posted a couple threads about our mysterious failure with our first Betta and our second go-round.

Here is an update. The second Betta, Avatar (I still hate that name, but I've lost, I fold ), is doing wonderfully. He's formed a nice big bubble-nest up in the corner of the tank by the filter and is very active.

I do have a question, though. Avatar is a pig. Everyone says to feed Bettas two or three times a day, two to three pellets each time. But Avatar munches down four pellets in 10 seconds and then looks back at us like, "What else you got?"

So, if the rules of thumb of "2-3 pellets at a meal" and "what they can eat in 30 seconds" are in conflict, which wins? I would estimate that this dude could chow six pellets in about 30 seconds without a problem, just judging by what we have seen.

Thanks for all the help. Folks in this forum have been great.
iamnohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #2 
dr2b

As you have seen, bettas are pigs. They will eat themselves to death (literally) if you let them. Don't let those pitiful looks fool you. I'd stick to the 2-3 pellets twice a day, and fasting once a week.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #3 
iamnohs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
As you have seen, bettas are pigs. They will eat themselves to death (literally) if you let them. Don't let those pitiful looks fool you. I'd stick to the 2-3 pellets twice a day, and fasting once a week.
Thanks. This helps. I've read many instances on this forum and elsewhere where people have had Bettas that have been finicky, but I hadn't seen people talk about them being this voracious. Good to know.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #4 
kelly528

Oh yeah some just love to eat.

But the bottom line is that a full stomach x 3 after the water soaks into the pellets will leave them regretting they ate that much lol.

I find for bigger bettas (mine for example is full grown) there is nothing wrong with feeding more. My guy gets about 4-6 pellets daily. But generally you shouldn't have to do more than 6.

Another thing to take into account is the betta's metabolism/energy level. If you have a fish in an unheated bowl that is only 1g, obviously they won't be doing much swimming and the cool temperature will slow their metabolism down. But if you are keeping your betta in a 10g at 80 degrees with a filter current he may burn 3 pellets off in the blink of an eye.

Last edited by kelly528; 01-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 
iamnohs

Thanks for the reply Kelly528.

We have him in a 2.5 gal with the heater set at 78 degrees. He seems pretty active, though the only comparison I have is a fish that died within 72 hours.

We'll stick to 2-3 feedings of 2-3 pellets. If he wants any more than that he's just going to have to get out of the tank and get it himself.