Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1 
SalsaMom

New tank on the way!

Hubby and I have had numerous aquariums in the past, even a saltwater one - currently none though. My 6 year old daughter wants a betta.
We've researched and tried to learn about them for the last month - love this forum - great info here.

I ordered a tank! I decided to get the 5 gallon Hawkeye from Walmart.
I should have it on the 17th. I know we might have to baffle the filter on it - so we are prepared to do that.

I'm going to let my daughter pick the gravel at a local store (no doubt it will be pink) - and some ornament (have a feeling it will be Barbie - jeeesh).

I'm going to go on Foster & Smith and snag a heater, Prime, water test kit and a few other things.

I'm going to set the tank up, get gravel, water and heater in there for a few days and then we'll help her pick out a betta.

The funny thing is - I'm really excited about this! I thought about ordering two of the tanks so I could have one for "myself"....hahaha.

I'll post pics in a week or so once we have it up and running and then when we pick a fish.
I found a "king" betta the other day at PetSmart and he was beautiful - and he'd made a nice bubble nest in his container. It was all I could do to leave without him.
Could a king/giant betta do ok in a 5 gallon tank with a filter?

We are debating setting up our old 20 gallon tank...hmmmm
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

5g tanks are pretty small for giants... I would say 10g is the minimum for full grown ones.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #3 
Skuldane

Good luck with your new betta! A five gallon is fine, everyone is going to have their own opinion. In the end you are most likely giving it a better home than the next buyer. Either way, add some bamboo or anubias plants. They are some of the easiest to take care of (little to no maintenance), and help absorb ammonia/give hiding places/sleeping places. Good luck!

PS
This is an addiction, I started small and now have several larger tanks. In hindsight I wish I just went big to begin with, would have saved more money in the long run. Make sure to post pics once you get it all set up and have your new betta!
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Five is great for normal bettas... But believe me, putting a 4-5 inch king/giant in one will not leave you with a happy fish.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #5 
peachii

Wal-Mart has a really great deal on 10 gallon kits for 29.00. You can get an LED or fluorescent hood, filter and tank. It's really a great deal. Get fluorescent if you ever want to have live plants in there with him.

Bettas are addictive, you will wind up with a tank for yourself as well.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote