Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #1631 
islandtime317

Hey everyone! I posted about my baby betta a while back. Heres some new pics! I think my little guy/gal is about 6-8 weeks old now. Still having trouble figuring out gender. His/her color is starting to develop more tho! Fins are outlined in blue and the base of the fins are starting to show red! The body in good lighting is starting to look purplish, but still has those stress stripes. Anybody have any guesses as to what type of betta and gender?

Also, my little guy/gal is in a 5 gallon tank. Could this be split in the middle with a divider? I was thinking of "rescuing" another baby but dont want to have to set up another tank. Thoughts?
Attached Images

islandtime317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #1632 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtime317 View Post
Hey everyone! I posted about my baby betta a while back. Heres some new pics! I think my little guy/gal is about 6-8 weeks old now. Still having trouble figuring out gender. His/her color is starting to develop more tho! Fins are outlined in blue and the base of the fins are starting to show red! The body in good lighting is starting to look purplish, but still has those stress stripes. Anybody have any guesses as to what type of betta and gender?

Also, my little guy/gal is in a 5 gallon tank. Could this be split in the middle with a divider? I was thinking of "rescuing" another baby but dont want to have to set up another tank. Thoughts?
It's a Boy! Congratulations! lol

Stress stripes in babies actually aren't stress stripes all the time, they are camouflage stripes to make it easier for them to hide in the wild. You'll often see babies switch from horizontal stripes to solid colors and then sometimes even to submission stripes which are vertical. In adult fish vertical stripes are breeding stripes but since these babies are not sexually mature, they cannot want to "breed" but it is submission. I also see this happen in some of my girls in my sorority, they put up their submission stripes to tell the other fish "whoa, hey there! I don't want any trouble!" and usually swim away

And yes! You can split your 5! I had my two boy's in my 5.5 at one point and now I have my 10 split into three for three babies to make it easier on me with the water changes to get rid of the growth stunting hormone So it'd be easier on you as well. Even though a tank is split, it doesn't necessarily mean that they only have that side of the tank. What I mean is: they have 2.75 gallons of swimming room but technically with the water flow, both of them have all 5 gallons if that makes sense. So just do your every other day/daily water changes for them and they'll be happy and healthy!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #1633 
islandtime317

Thank you!! Very exciting to hear it's a boy! Can't wait to see what color he turns out. I was holding off on the name until i knew for sure but his name is now officially Picasso!
Definitely going to go over to petco today and see if they have any more babies in need of some TLC. :D
islandtime317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #1634 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome! It looks like he might turn out with a black body but blue laid over top and mostly blue fins, some red wash most likely running through them

Rembrandt (in my avatar pic) approves of Picasso
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #1635 
Quinn

I say boy too. Hi Picasso!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #1636 
PetMania

Hey y'all! I recently lost all of my community fish, and I now have a lone betta in a 10 gallon tank. He seems to stay on one side all the time. I have decided that I will divide it into 3 sections. I will then have an empty tank available. I thought it would be fun to rescue a baby betta.
ANYWAYS, I would appreciate any suggestions you have for me. I would like to know the specific diet a baby requires.
Thanks in advance!!
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #1637 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtime317 View Post
Thank you!! Very exciting to hear it's a boy! Can't wait to see what color he turns out. I was holding off on the name until i knew for sure but his name is now officially Picasso!
Definitely going to go over to petco today and see if they have any more babies in need of some TLC. :D
I think it is fun not knowing the gender of a betta.
I don't know if this is true or not, but if the eyes on a baby betta are relatively large, that it is a boy. Smaller eyes mean girl. That's how I have guessed the gender.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #1638 
Marlow

My new babies, Sam and Dean ^^

So far I think that Sam female, turquoise and plakat, and that Dean is male, royal blue and either plakat or veil.. What do you think? x)
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1639 
PetMania

I think that Same is a girl. With Dean, I'm heading towards male. That royal blue is beautiful! :)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #1640 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Both Sam and Dean look boys, looks like they'll be PK's too

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta