Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #1 
mhjones14

Exclamation Lethargic Betta :(

I am a complete newbie in the Betta world. My Betta fish Walter Jr has been living with us for about 2 weeks. For most of that time he has been in a 2 gallon tank, but yesterday we moved him into a new home (a 5 gallon Fluval Spec). Walter Sr died after just 24 hours, so we take EXTRA precaution with Walter Jr. We moved him to the 5 gallon tank because he seemed unhappy in the 2 gallon tank. Lately he has been uncharacteristically lethargic, and possibly a little bloated. He just sits behind his shrubs all the time. I am so worried about him and I don't want anything to happen to him. Please help!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes (but it's not currently in use because the current was too strong)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? we've only had him for 2 weeks, but in the 2 gallon bowl we had only preformed 1 water change
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
^^I do not know how to do any of these things.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? slightly bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? we moved him into a bigger tank and I am starving him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea
mhjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 
turborave

I am kind of in the same boat as you are... i posted earlier tonight, hope to get some insight and some solid advice... hang in there..
turborave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

If he is lethargic and bloated bigger tank will not help him unfortunately. I think he might was sick already from the store which happens a lot. When you buy a betta you always need to check fish for the any sign of the disease
Is he like that from the time that you brought him home?
Is he eating?
Did he ever ate?
How much you fed him?
Do you think he might be constipated? Did he got bloated after you feed him?
Actually if he is lethargic it really better to keep him in 2 gall so its easier for him to swim to the top for the air
I would not use filter for now since he is lethargic and weak.
Bloating can be due to the internal infection. Did you ever see his poop? Usually if betta has internal infection or internal parasites the poop will be white,clear, broken white , stringy,wormy shape. So if you can check for the poo.
What i would do is actually transfer him back to 2 gall . Do not put any dicorations so you can check for poop.
Do 2-50% water changes as soon as you can . About 1 hr apart. Acclimate betta very slow to the new water. Since he is lethargic you can put him in the container you bought him in with his water about 15% and keep adding new dechlorinated water every 5 min do it about 6-7 times so he get used to new water temperature and slowly put him in the new water.
Also if you can go buy Epsom salt at any pharmacy department. Make sure its 100% pure epsom unscented ( Magnesium sulfate(no dyes,perfume or additives ). Epsom salt helps fish as a laxative if fish constipated or has internal parasites it will help to purge them out. But if he has internal parasites salt along will not help though , he needs to be medicated.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 09-13-2013 at 10:46 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #4 
mhjones14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
If he is lethargic and bloated bigger tank will not help him unfortunately. I think he might was sick already from the store which happens a lot. When you buy a betta you always need to check fish for the any sign of the disease
Is he like that from the time that you brought him home?
Is he eating?
Actually if he is lethargic it really better to keep him in 2 gall so its easier for him to swim to the top for the air
I would not use filter for now since he is lethargic and weak.
Bloating can be due to the internal infection. Did you ever see his poop? Usually if betta has internal infection or internal parasites the poop will be white,clear, broken white , stringy,wormy shape. So if you can check for the poo.
What i would do is actually transfer him back to 2 gall . Do not put any dicorations so you can check for poop.
Do 2-50% water changes as soon as you can . About 1 hr apart. Acclimate betta very slow to the new water. Since he is lethargic you can put him in the container you bought him in with his water about 15% and keep adding new dechlorinated water every 5 min do it about 6-7 times so he get used to new water temperature and slowly put him in the new water.
Also if you can go buy Epsom salt at any pharmacy department. Make sure its 100% pure epsom unscented ( Magnesium sulfate(no dyes,perfume or additives )
He has never been a lethargic fish. He's been active since day 1. I think I may have accidentally overfed him and now he is bloated/constipated. Any suggestions for this? We do not have the filter on. I don't want to move him again because I think he may be a little stressed out from all the moving around.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

if you think that you overfeed him then did he got lethargic and bloated right after or may be a few hrs later after you feed him?
Then of course the first thing do not feed him for a day and see how he doing. Then if he is eating feed him small meals. Not sure how big are those pellets that you feeding him . Some pellets are really big though. Bettas stomach is the size of their eye and if you gave him to many at once then yes you might overfeed him and hopefully it the reason.
So the best is fast.
If he will get more bloated then again it might be due to the internal problem . Epsom salt can help as laxative when fish is constipated. Also frozen daphnia is helpful for constipating betta.
Also if you don't have the filter any longer, the right water changes will be 50% and 1-100% water changes a week. And if you acclimate the fish right he will not get stressed. Do not afraid to do full water changes. My fish is old and i do it all the time. But 50% only without filter is not enough.

And the best recommended food , hopefully he will get better and will eat

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...FWcOOgodaioAzQ

http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...lets-50-g.html
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #6 
mhjones14

Walter Jr is dead. I am so devestated and I feel so responsible. I thought I was doing everything right. Everywhere I read said a 2 gallon tank was too small for a betta so when I moved him into a 5 gallon I thought I was doing the right thing. I don't know what to do. I've had 2 bettas in the past month and neither has lived past 2 weeks. I just hate myself right now. I killed him. It's all my fault.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 
Jovancheck

It's not your fault, please don't blame yourself...I have been in a very similar situation, maybe you have seen my thread...Until today it was no hope..I know that you are sad, i've been depressed just like that, but deep inside i knew i did the right thing...So were you, you just wanted the best for him! He was probably sick before, at least he died decently. I'm sure he was very happy with you, he was better than in the store for sure!
Jovancheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Ok first of all IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Secondary believe me to many people on this forum and even to experienced one we all had this problem. We all went through this. We all learning , we all trying , fish get sick, hey any pet get sick. Any pet can died. We need to understand that , its frustrating but we need to be strong and just try and learn even if it bad experience , and we need to go ahead and do what we need to do. I spoke to many people, because i love bettas and i tend to text people to tell them do not give up ,and believe me i spoke to person who had 5 betta in the row die. Believe it or not and finally he has bettas now. So all you need to do , trying to find out what was wrong and try again. But you can't get so devastated all the time. You came to the forum to help him , some people will not even do that. So take all thought together and calm down lets try to figure out what is going on.

Let us know which tank you want to keep.
2 gall is absolutely fine if you can keep it heated . I have bettas for about 7 years , i have 10 of them. Most of my tanks are 2.5 gall and 1 tank is 5 gall and at work my tanks (3 bettas) in one gall. So the tank size really not is the big issue unless its under the gallon.

I would suggest to rinse the tank very well and let it sit to dry out for a week. What do you have in the tank? Let me know and we will think how to disinfect it.

What water conditioner you been using?

When you go to the pet store take your tap water and let them check it. Ask them water parameters ins tread of them say that its good.
Let us know what you think and i will also give you the link about disinfection.

Tags
betta, bloated, lethargic