Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #11 
kelly528

Let's get some things straight here:

There is no such thing as an animal that 'cleans the tank'. I read a good book on this. It was called Everybody Poops.

On a more serious note, anything you introduce the the tank to 'clean it' will do nothing more than suck up detritus or scrape algae off the glass and deposit it on the bottom in the form of poop. This is espescially the case for Mystery Snails, who happen to be champs at this sport. I would go so far as to say that a single mystery snail will contribute more waste towards your tank than a betta could ever hope to.

If you want a small 'cleaner' to eat detritus and algae (which effectively saves you from scraping the glass lol) I have a few to recommend who, pound for pound are not very big waste producers:

-Shrimp. Don't ask me where they put it all but they are artists at the act of reducing algae on a low bioload-budget. I suggest ghost shrimp for bettas becase they are the least likely to get eaten.

-Nerite / Zebra snails. I would recommend them to anyone. Hands down the best algae eaters and they have very low waste output. They will only breed in brackish water so they won't overrun your tank. I would only suggest 1 or 2 for a 5g because once they run out of algae it is sometimes hard to tempt them to eat lettuce. They also won't eat leftover food. Fortunately betta pellets allow for very few leftovers.

Plants are also a good bet for soaking up dissolved waste... did you know that duckweed is used to purify water in sewage treatment plants?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #12 
Kumiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Let's get some things straight here:

There is no such thing as an animal that 'cleans the tank'. I read a good book on this. It was called Everybody Poops.

On a more serious note, anything you introduce the the tank to 'clean it' will do nothing more than suck up detritus or scrape algae off the glass and deposit it on the bottom in the form of poop. This is espescially the case for Mystery Snails, who happen to be champs at this sport. I would go so far as to say that a single mystery snail will contribute more waste towards your tank than a betta could ever hope to.

If you want a small 'cleaner' to eat detritus and algae (which effectively saves you from scraping the glass lol) I have a few to recommend who, pound for pound are not very big waste producers:

-Shrimp. Don't ask me where they put it all but they are artists at the act of reducing algae on a low bioload-budget. I suggest ghost shrimp for bettas becase they are the least likely to get eaten.

-Nerite / Zebra snails. I would recommend them to anyone. Hands down the best algae eaters and they have very low waste output. They will only breed in brackish water so they won't overrun your tank. I would only suggest 1 or 2 for a 5g because once they run out of algae it is sometimes hard to tempt them to eat lettuce. They also won't eat leftover food. Fortunately betta pellets allow for very few leftovers.

Plants are also a good bet for soaking up dissolved waste... did you know that duckweed is used to purify water in sewage treatment plants?
Thanks a ton. I had no idea about the duckweed in sewage plants!! Where to find it though? I'm going to a vivarium site to order some plants. I need to get some for the frog tank as well. I just cleaned it out and now, its lacking in the green category.
Kumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #13 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post

Oh my gosh!!!!! I LOVE that book!!! LOL

Yeah, snails really poop a lot. I LOVE mine, and he keeps the algae down, which is great, but after I feed him, he poops for a whole day straight!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #14 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumiko View Post
Thanks a ton. I had no idea about the duckweed in sewage plants!! Where to find it though? I'm going to a vivarium site to order some plants. I need to get some for the frog tank as well. I just cleaned it out and now, its lacking in the green category.
You can get it from classifieds (I'm sure if you put an ad out on craigslist someone will scoop some out for you) or if you have a local aquarium society or forum you could find duckweed really easily there as well. Barring that you could scoops some from a pond (sterilise it in PP dip first) or another idea is to ask at a LFS... if there are any hobbyist employees there they will probably have no problem from scooping some out of a tank at home. The stuff grows like mad so it's really easy to come by.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote