Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #11 
JaspersANGEL

Never tried a salt bath, but I am going to the fish store tomorrow to pick up Charlie (Jasper's new buddy) and I'm gonna buy aquarium salt too if you think that will help.
The white stuff is not fuzzy, its like when your fishy grows back a tail, it's clear but the veins are white.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #12 
JamieTron

Hrmm...well try the salt bath for now, that wouldn't hurt. I would do one once a day for a few days.

Do you happen to have any plastic plants in your tank that could have caused damage to the fins?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #13 
JaspersANGEL

I have the first one, it's a plastic betta plant, it came with the small betta kit tank I got at first. Should I take it out...
he's been living with the plant for 4 months
plus his rock used to have sharp plastic plants , but i cut them off and since the he sleeps in it every night but it still has the holes were the plants were. Should I take his rock out...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #14 
JamieTron

hrm perhaps he could have cut himself at some point? I had a betta with that problem before, I kept thinking it was fin rot but it was the plant.

If you can find silk plants they are great! It helped my situation at least. Your plant may be okay if its from the betta starter kits I know which plant you mean I had one way back...those plants seem okay I would say, unless you find yours feels kinda sharp. I think if you have a walmart that sells silk plants for cheap you could replace the plastic one if you feel yours is too sharp. My experience with those ones though is they seemed fine.

The rock should be okay now that the sharp plants are gone

keep us updated on your progress after the salt baths hopefully they can help
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #15 
JaspersANGEL

sure thing
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #16 
JaspersANGEL

well I tried Jasper with his first salt bath today, he took it well..I don't think he noticed that he was swimming in salt, tho I only put in half a teaspoon cause my hospital tank is the half gallon betta kit.
I can spy some of his color coming back to that spot, I'm not sure if it's cause of the salt bath's or the bacteria that did this to him has done it's time but if I keep up the salt bath's until the white is gone can it hurt him..with one bath a day...
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #17 
AngelicScars

You can actually give him several baths a day and he be fine. Putting some aquarium salt into his tank can also help as a preventative.
Since it's a relatively small spot and it's already improving, a couple of salt baths a day would be fine. Even just one a day will be fine too!
I hope he starts looking better soon!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #18 
JamieTron

It's good to hear

Last edited by JamieTron; 01-07-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #19 
Zenandra
Banned

If its clear and such it sounds to me like he probably tore the fin on something and its just healing :)
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #20 
JaspersANGEL

update on Jasper's fin, I was wrong it's getting worse, the white is almost all over the fin now. Could it be that he's only changing color, he is still young, but it's weird he's a blue betta...

That's y I call him my demented fish, cause all the fin rot and scratches he got he never noticed he was sick or hurt, he never was lethargic or had loss of appetite or anything else that a sick fish is supposed to show. I wish he cold tell me what is happening with that fin cause I'm the one worrying for him, cause he's just there acting like a normal fish with not a care in the world.

Does any one have other suggestion's on what this could be...
I'd like if some one would show me picture's of a white betta with white fins, on him it's like the veins are white and in between it's see-through white...