Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #1 
bettabeauty

Exclamation Help! Freezing aquarium almost killed everything!!

Ok, originally this post was much, much longer, but I thought more people might help me out if I just gave a brief summary:

Tank:
1 betta
3 ADFs
10 tetras

Situation: New ADF was/is dying because the nitrates/nitrites are waaay too high. I did a water change.

Problem: I did the water change with COLD water. Was not thinking. Poured right in on fish. Nearly killed everyone. Bad. Bad. Bad. Managed to rescue everyone out of tank as quickly as possible. No deaths. ADF still in bad shape. However, everyone was moved to temporary yet warmer small glasses/bowls.

Question: Can I leave my betta/tetras/adfs in these small bowls over night while the water heats up? (Bonus points if you can tell me how to make my frog get better!)

PS-Always THINK before doing a water change. This was seriously one of the most traumatic moments of my life. I swear I saw a tetra silently scream...
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know about the adf's or tetras but I think the betta will be fine. Your frog may be ok once the water heats up. We all do things without thinking. I accidently dumped a betta back into his container without putting water in the container first! He landed on the rocks but he was ok. What is the water temperature right now?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #3 
Zenandra
Banned

The betta should be fine in a bowl over night, and the ADF's too since they breathe from the surface. But the tetras need the aeration in the water. What temp is the tank at now? Maybe add some warm/hott water and then acclimate the tetras back in.

As for your ailing ADF, are you sure its the nitrates/nitrites that are affecting him? Because then they would be affecting everyone else too. Maybe its something else? I've heard the most common cause of death in aquarium frogs is starvation. But I don't know a ton about them.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I didn't even think about suggesting adding in some warm water! Dummy me! lol. Good idea.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #5 
bettabeauty

Thanks for the replies last night, both of you. It seems that everyone, but said ADF has survived the incident. I ended up spending so much time trying to figure out how long tetras could go without a filter, that the water heated up enough for me to get everyone back in. None of the tetras died, which I am totally amazed by. They were really in bad shape last night, but it looks like they pretty much have their color back.

My only problem now is, it is starting to look like another one of my adfs is getting weak..and I only have two left. What the heck is going on?
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote