Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Minibow ppl.. need advice.

I got a 2.5 gal minibow today (purple ) anyway it came with a micro whisper filter and a light (plus other stuff I don't need).

Anyways I have some problems. The filter is HUGE its almost as big as the one I use for my 10 gal. I thought when it said micro it meant micro... I really don't want it taking up the whole tank. Has anyone gotten a new filter for theirs and if so what kind and how much? This filter is also really loud so I'm trying to figure out a way to make it vibrate less.

My next problem is the light. Its an incandescent bulb and puts out very little light compared to my halogens... plus I think its going to get really hot.. I'm testing it out now (there aren't any fish in there yet). Has anyone been able to change to a halogen bulb and where did you get it?

I'm so glad I got it and it was a deal ($29 but at least I don't have to wait for it to get shipped from amazon and I got it in the color I liked best ).

Any advice stories or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.. Jackie

Oh btw be looking for another thread in the fishcare section.. I need to decide who is going in here and there is a long story behind and I'm asking for help on all my forums with it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

I saw this filter in Petco today when I went. I thought it was neat and I was considering getting it for the 3 gallon I bought. Maybe it will work in yours.
http://www.petco.com/product/3199/Pe...:referralID=NA
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

thanks I'll try to look around and see if I can find one to actually look at... I can't really tell if its electric or what? I wish I had a petco near me :(
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #4 
Scienceluvr8

I have the same exact the tank! I totally agree with you on the filter. What I did was replace the filter(which damaged my betta's dorsal fin) with a red sea deco art nano filter. Very awesome filter I may add, the replacement sponges are inexpensive and you can control the flow of the filter which is an added plus! The best part of course is that it works great! My tank always looks clear and the main filter hangs on the outside, so it virtually takes up no space. Best filter I have used yet. Hope this helps :)
Heres what it looks like:
I got mine at Petco
http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...t=OnSiteSearch
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

I have two of the same tanks, 2.5 mini bow desktop kit's and I think the filter's are awesome. The current on one is to strong, poor Charlie is being pushed around like there was no tomorrow, Jasper doesn't mind it..he's stronger then Charlie.

Anyways I was just wondering how I could build a baffle for Charlies mini bow filter, it's all open so it's a bit hard not to make the tape fall in it.
Any help would be appreciated...

Thankx
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

scienceluvr8.. thanks.. that looks perfect and its on sale! Is it very loud?

I can adjust the flow on this filter which is cool.. If the tank was bigger I would LOVE this filter.. it just takes up too much room.

Jasper's angel.. try putting pantyhose over the intake which is directly over the bottom. That will usually take care of your problem.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

ok thank you I will try that
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #8 
Scienceluvr8

Nope, it is very quiet in my opinion, and all around its just a great filter. What do you mean if the tank was bigger? I have the exact tank and the only part of the filter that takes up space in the tank is intake tube, and it barely even takes up any space.
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

No I meant if the tank was bigger I would keep the whisper filter it comes with.. I really like these filters. I'm going to save it in case I ever get a 5 gallon tank bc it would do nicely in there.

I'll probably be ordering that the nano filter tomorrow.. I should wait but I'm afraid that the sale will run out.