Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 
JustinieBeanie

Newbie Question

I know nothing about showing bettas- or any animals for that matter, so just now I was reading one of the other recent threads where a person was asking what betta showing is all about and how you get into it, and people talked about how one should join the IBC, obtain some good quality breeding pairs,breed your fish and then show the resulting offspring. Which got me wondering (and my Apologies if this is a bit of a "dumb" question) but when it comes to showing bettas, can you show fish you did not breed yourself, or is one only allowed to show the resulting offspring of a pair you bred? Like if I saw a really nice show quality fish and bought it, could I show that individual that I purchased or could I only show the offspring I bred from that individual?
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

You can only show a fish that isn't your own breeding if you do a team entry which doesn't count for points so sorta pointless unless you are just wanting "bragging rights" as far as saying your offspring are from a champion fish(if you happen to win).

Good luck in finding a champion show quality fish for sale. Nearly all of what is sold ANYWHERE are culls. Meaning the breeder has kept the very best for themselves.

I like it that way because that keeps someone from just buying a nice fish and claiming points. Breeding until you get a nice quality fish is tough.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
JustinieBeanie

Yes, i had gathered from reading the thread I mentioned that typically people can't show a fish they didn't breed, but wasn't entirely sure I was coming to the correct conclusion based on what I had been reading. You are right, it seems much more challenging- and rewarding to show a fish you yourself bred as opposed to one you bought off of someone else. Thanks so much for the answer, could you possibly go into more detail about team entries? (not that I'm planning on showing but now you've piqued my interest here lol)
Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #4 
Basement Bettas

THere is a provision for you to purchase and show joint with breeder. But no points are awarded.

The showing is for breeders..how their crosses and care stack up against others. Not cool to buy a fish and win. Not only are you taking points away from those who have done a gazillion water changes.. it then boils down to how much are you willing to spend on a winner. And most breeders do it because they love the breeding and the art of bettas. Buying winners sticks in the craw...
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #5 
JustinieBeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
THere is a provision for you to purchase and show joint with breeder. But no points are awarded. Buying winners sticks in the craw...
Yeah that's why I was wondering, because otherwise if you're super rich you could just buy winning fish and win shows without putting any time energy or effort into their breeding, which is not really fair- or fun! I'm just trying to work out what would be the benefit of "joint showing" if its not for points, is it just to " get your foot in the door" and see if you like showing or something?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

You could potentially buy a diamond in the rough that could be shown and win. You would be able to mark et the fry as being from champions.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #7 
bambijarvis

I think paired showing are more for joint projects(say you bread a gorgeous red HM and sent it to a friend to breed to their red HM female, and the two of you decide to share credit of the fry even though they technically bred it).
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #8 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
You could potentially buy a diamond in the rough that could be shown and win. You would be able to mark et the fry as being from champions.
Does not work like that. Showing is about a breeder putting their work before a judge. Not buying some pet shop fish and it taking a ribbon on a whim. There is a standard. And your pet shop fish will not meet it.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
Does not work like that. Showing is about a breeder putting their work before a judge. Not buying some pet shop fish and it taking a ribbon on a whim. There is a standard. And your pet shop fish will not meet it.
Pretty sure I didn't say anything about a pet shop fish.

Anyway, it was to answer the question of why one would do a team entry with a breeder. This:

Quote:
I'm just trying to work out what would be the benefit of "joint showing"
One could buy a young fish that turns out quite nice and be shown as a team entry with the breeder. If the fish wins that makes it a class winner and could make the fry more desirable. I see fish on ab quite often as from champion parents. If it didn't matter I'm sure that extra bit of info wouldn't get added in.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 
Aluka

I wonder if this is only for bettas?

I was at my local aquarium club and we have auctions every meeting. There are many seasoned (20-60 years experience some of them, yea most of them are a bit old) breeders of all kinds of fish.

There was a trio of i think swordtails? i forget, the breeder is the only person with i think tri color, cause he bred them himself. ( details are fuzzzy, this was in july). One of the board member brought bid and won the auction and said he is taking it to a show because they are that nice.

So, it sounded like to me that its okay to just enter fish you brought in other fish categories?
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote