Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #1 
Eolith

Cleaning/Polishing Acrylic?

Hey all,

I've recently acquired an acrylic Eclipse aquarium. It was cheap, the reason being that it's been a little scratched and banged up over the years. There's also some pretty tough adhesive type stuff stuck on it in places. Does anyone have tips for chemicals to use for removing the adhesive stuff and/or polishing the fine scratches out of the acrylic?

Of course, I'm not planning on using anything on the inside of the aquarium. All cleaning products will strictly be on the exterior.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #2 
MollyJean

Well I don't know about getting rid of the scratches, but for the tape, I would try some GoJo or Pink Stuff. Try the automotive section in walmart and you can find an off brand that works just as well. No Magic Eraser!! Ever!

Maybe those eye glass scratch remover kits for the scratches.. not sure, sorry.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #3 
sunset

Before you use the tank you could soak it in warm soapy water. That should help get the tape off. Not sure what you can do about the scratches. Make sure that you rinse the tank VERY thoroughly after soaking.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #4 
kelly528

I know they sell acrylic polish for getting rid of scratches. The only name I can give you is Novus Acrylic Polish and Scratch Remover cause someone was looking for it on the classifieds (of a local forum) a while ago. I'm sure you'll find others if you poke around Drsfostersmith or something.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #5 
Eolith

Well... I ended up using a chemical/polish meant for car headlights... which I figured were pretty much the same material as the aquarium. It did absolute wonders for getting all of the adhesive crud off... but I'm not sure that it did much to buff out any of the scratches.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote