Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #17441 
FishyFishy89

Ugh, I'm so happy Emma's dog park is in a high income area. These people have VERY well trained dogs. Well worth the 30-ish min drive every weekend.

I have experienced very similar situations to yours, and they're just plain annoying. People always saying "my dog is just being friendly". No, your dog is being RUDE. My dog gave him signals that said "leave me alone", your dog chose to ignore those signals.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #17442 
GinjaHaZ

Today has just been a bad day... First, I missed my 9am class... Then I see 2 betta fighting photos/videos on IG within a couple of hours. One poster being a complete jerk. He put 2 small goldfish, another type of small fish, and a betta in a small cup and just watched them die and then has the gall to call it amusing. I tried being nice and saying please don't do it again. He just lashed out at everyone. This just makes me angry and sad at the same time...

Last edited by dramaqueen; 09-17-2013 at 01:25 AM.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #17443 
10asartin

Never used this thread before, but here we go.
I absolutely hate, hate, hate when brand new members on the forum post complete nonsense advice in response to members seeking help. Of course, I understand that they are new, still learning a lot of things, and just want to help, but that does not mean that they should be slinging around pieces of information/advice that are completely false or terrible. Like a member says in response to a simple case of ripped fins, "It looks like you've done everything you can at this point, you should let nature take its course". I mean, are you serious?! A fish gets ripped fins in which the dead tissue falls off and their response is that the fish is going to die and the owner should let it!??
There are so many other instances like this and it drives me absolutely bonkers!!
Shew, I feel better now :)
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #17444 
dramaqueen
Banned

I guess they want to respond but don't know what else to say.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #17445 
10asartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I guess they want to respond but don't know what else to say.
Ya, I definitely understand why they do it, but just wish they wouldn't due to the off chance that the poster may take their advice.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #17446 
dramaqueen
Banned

You have a good point. It's ok to correct wrong advice as long as it's not done in a snarky way. I've had people correct me both snarky and nicely. Lol
Old 09-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #17447 
Saber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10asartin View Post
Never used this thread before, but here we go.
I absolutely hate, hate, hate when brand new members on the forum post complete nonsense advice in response to members seeking help. Of course, I understand that they are new, still learning a lot of things, and just want to help, but that does not mean that they should be slinging around pieces of information/advice that are completely false or terrible. Like a member says in response to a simple case of ripped fins, "It looks like you've done everything you can at this point, you should let nature take its course". I mean, are you serious?! A fish gets ripped fins in which the dead tissue falls off and their response is that the fish is going to die and the owner should let it!??
There are so many other instances like this and it drives me absolutely bonkers!!
Shew, I feel better now :)
This is why a lot of forums have rules that include variations of "lurk more" - meaning that new members are encouraged to watch how other members of the forum respond and behave before they jump right in and start trying to give advice. They often think they sound smart or are trying to help, but sometimes that isn't the case. A fish is definitely not doomed to death if its fins are ripped. Many of us have seen bettas bounce back from having fins that were almost completely rotted away by finrot.

My own personal rant today has to do with some of the betta owners on Instagram...My friend has an account on there that advocates against betta abuse and she often posts friendly advice on betta photos in which the fish is not in the best condition/has a tiny tank/etc. These people are so ridiculously stubborn and rude even when offered the kindest of advice on how to improve their betta's life. Many of them simply retort with "WELL I WAS TOLD AT THE PET STORE THAT BETTAS LIKE SMALL TANKS, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE FISH DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE RIGHT."

Let us examine that claim for a moment...

-You do realize that, even in pet stores, employees are there to make sales and that 90% of the time, they will tell you anything in order to get you to buy something? If someone told you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it?

-You do realize that, most of the time, someone who has years of experience keeping a particular animal is going to know better about the necessary care it needs?

Its just very frustrating. If these people have Instagram, they obviously have Smartphones and access to the internet. It literally takes a 5 minute Google search to find this website and many others like it that will tell you that all of the nonsense chain petstores spout about Betta care is false. I guess its easier to act like a know-it-all.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #17448 
redthebetta

You know what I hate? When a member joins just to post a memorial or something like that.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #17449 
dramaqueen
Banned

And some members don't post anywhere but coffeehouse chat because they had one bad experience with someone being rude.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #17450 
JustinieBeanie

My rant has to do with people on Craiglist! Maybe this is just local to my area idk, but people use the pet listings to argue and rant, and none of these people posting these listings have anything to sell, buy, or trade! Now I know the "Pets" section on Craigslist is under "Community" as opposed to being under "For sale", so maybe being under the community heading gives these people more license, but its still annoying to sift through. If they want a discussion, Craigslist has discussion forums, if they think something is prohibited or spam they can flag it, and if they suspect something is illegal they need to report it to the appropriate authorities.

I was browsing local craigslist pet listings looking for fish tanks etc., for instance there were people who had posted listings just arguing over whether or not my local shelter is a no kill shelter! (While I don't believe it is a no kill now nor was it a no kill shelter before it recently switched management so I think people are confused). One persons entire listing was just a link to a political type cartoon depicting evil looking hooded people all lined up with animals in their arms waiting to dump the animals into this machine with a big dollar sign on it, assumably as some type of indictment of the shelter/ humane society system or something.

I've often seen people post listings just to warn others of some of the other posters, which I can sort of understand as if you truly have information about a corrupt or scammer type person more people will see the warnings posted as listings as opposed to if you just posted on the Craigslist discussion forums.
However the majority do not have any kind of verifiable evidence and it is just a " he said/she said" thing, many don't even provide links or more detailed references to which poster they were talking about. Some of them just say "beware of X person selling puppies" or "to the lady with cats" in the title and dont give any mention as to the specific lister! There are a bunch of people under pets selling puppies or cats so you have no idea who they are talking about. I found 1 so irritating it was almost amusing:involving a woman posting warnings as listings about "Michelle" who they claimed was saying she was rescueing dogs when really she's some sort of scammer puppy broker. Then some guy posted a listing about how he knew Michelle she loves animals, isnt like that, the other poster is just lying, etc. Both posters posted at least 2, if not 3 listings each arguing over whether or not Michelle was really rescuing dogs or lying then selling them. Then the Michelle accuser posts oh the Michelle Im talking about is in ABC zip code, the one you're talking about is Michelle in XYZ zip code. Turns out they were arguing over two different people in two different zip codes! Lol
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou