Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #1 
bettabeauty

Problems with Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia

So, everyone in my tank seems to be doing just fine and dandy except these poor african dwarf frogs! So, finally decided to test the water, and realized that my amonia, nitrates and nitrites are way up. So, yesterday, I did a 50% water change.

Today, yet again, another frog seems like he too is about to die. So, I tested the water again. The levels went down a bit, but right now here's where they are:

Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 10
Ammonia .5

I've been doing 50% water changes every week. I'm not really sure why these levels went up. Could it be from the frog food? I'm about to syphon the tank yet again with hopes that this will go down a bit... Any advice?
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Is your tank cycled? Have you added any new animals or extra food?

I would do daily small water changes until your levels are down MUCH lower. Your nitrates are fine but your nitrites and ammonia are very high and potentially unsafe. Do about 20% changes daily until your readings are 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

I'm not familiar with adf's but they may be sensitive to the high levels.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #3 
vaygirl

How big is it? And how many fish? It might be overstocked? How long has the tank been set up? Definitely do daily changes, 20%. Keep monitoring.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I was remembering that I thought you had a six gallon? If so, 10 tetras, 2 frogs, and a betta is definitely overstocked.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #5 
bettabeauty

Yes, its six gallons. I really don't think its over stocked. Its one square inch of fish per gallon. The betta is one square inch, 5 tetras are one square inch, other 5 tetras another square inch, and two frogs are one square inch (though, now I'm down to one). A square inch is a 3 dimensional box, not a 2 dimensional square. That said, I am technically using up 4 gallons and have two gallons to spare. Since there is a lot of controversy about how much space a betta needs, we can say he has two more gallons, for a total of six.

I think I may have solved the problem, though. Both the frogs and tetras are fairly new. To compensate the fact that I'm unfamiliar with how much to feed them, I was putting extra food in the tank (esp for the frogs) and not removing it. I was feeding the frogs these teeny pellet things for small frogs. They seemed to like them, but the stuff they didn't eat disolved in the tank like sand.

So I can do daily water changes without any problems?
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #6 
vaygirl

It's one inch of FISH per gallon. A betta is 3 inches, neons can be 2 inches per fish and dwarf frogs about an inch, so you have 24 inches or so in 6 gallons. You should have 6 inches of fish. And with a small tank like yours with only four gallons of water, it's going to be even more unstable.

You can do daily changes but you're going to have to do them every day with a tank that overstocked. You're putting a lot of stress on the fish with that setup, especially with everyone being new.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I have to agree. That rule really isn't law.. its a general guideline that isn't eniterly true.

In six gallons I wouldn't have more than 3 fish total.. they have a higher bioload. I'm not sure about the frogs but I assume they have a high bioload too.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote