Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #1 
chasteele

Question Betta Fish more agressive than usual - Looking for some insight

Hi guys,

I've had my betta fish for about a year and half (not sure on his age, as I got him from a lady on Craigslist who "didn't have time" for him.) A few months ago, he was upgraded to a 10 gallon tank with heater, air pump and filter. He has live plants and lives with one zebra snail. He seemed to be looking healthier and acting more energetic than ever.

In the past couple weeks, his aggression seems to have grown. He has started attacking the snail, which isn't a big deal... But my main concern is that I think he's started biting his tail. I used to leave the light on in his tank... When it got to be dark in the evening, he would start seeing his reflection in the glass and would flare up. I'd let him flare a bit and then turn the light off. I've tried keeping the light off so he doesn't see his reflection, but every day there's a little bit more missing from his tail. I'm concerned that something is stressing him out, but there's nothing in his tank that wasn't there before.

Could this be a sign that he's sick? I've also read that as bettas age, they can become more aggressive... If this is the case, is there anything I can do to stop him from biting his tail? Any tips or insights would be great, thanks!
chasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

I wouldn't put his light on unless its dark outside during the daytime. Bettas are use to the the sunlight/moonlight routine. I would remove the snail and see if that is what is stressing him out. A stressed male will bite his own tail.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't think that he's sick. In fact, I think it's the opposite. He's feeling better, and defending his territory against "invaders."

Tailbiting has many causes. Stress, frustration, boredom, etc. Even the weight of the tail can be a factor, if he feels like it's weighing him down.

As txbettaowner suggested, I'd try removing the snail. See if that helps. If it doesn't, try varying things in his environment: lighting, plants, decorations, etc. Even water temperature can be a factor.

In the meantime, keep the water extra clean. This will help prevent any secondary infection from setting in.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggressive, betta, biting tail, flaring, sick