Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #1 
itamag

NPT issue

Hey everyone. I want to start an NPT of about 7.5 gals, and stock it with two bettas and maybe a snail, and I have two questions for you. First, what do I do with the snail? I mean, assuming it has a purpose in cleaning the tank, will I need to move it between the two sides of the divider, and how do I do that (can snails even be taken out the water)? The second is, good soil is just impossible to find in my area, None knows what I'm talking about! There's no organic soil in shops, the city uses fertilizers in all public areas with soil, and so does everyone I know in their yards. What soil alternatives are there for an NPT? Thanks I appreciate the help!
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #2 
Skuldane

Can't you put a snail on each side? you have plenty of space in that tank. Can't help you with your soil dilemma.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

I would get a snail door for the divider that way it can go back and forth.

NPTs are all the rage now... I'm sure someone will be by to help you.

Oh, and I agree about getting a second snail - I was just kidding about the snail door.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #4 
Nothingness

Is there a home depot anywhere close to you? They stock all types of good soil for cheap
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #5 
babystarz

Sometimes I see "black dirt" advertised around here by small businesses or individuals - black dirt is nutrient-rich topsoil from private property. Usually they have a sign with a phone number on the property or something. I don't know if anything like that might be available around you, but it might be worth checking around. Another option would be to look for a gardening club or forum dedicated to your area. I bet you could buy some fantastic dirt from someone who specializes in composting soil, with the added bonus that they know exactly what the soil is composed of. Or they could help direct you to somewhere with the type of dirt you're looking for.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #6 
Skuldane

I have also seen soil on craigslist, check it out.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #7 
Blue Fish

I'm new to NPT's, but I've just used small diameter gravel and haven't had any problems. You'll need to use liquid fertz and possibly root tabs to supplement the fact that you're not using soil, but if all else fails, it's been an option that's worked for me thus far. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote