Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #1 
TakingthePlunge

Apongeton questions/problems:

Out of 5 apongeton hybrid bulbs, only two ever sprouted -- the other three got soggy and melted. The two apongetons I have, though, could not be more different.

One has curly-edged leaves, slightly brownish in color, and the leaves get so long they reach the surface of my 10 gal tank, and float a good 8 inches on the surface.

The other is a beautiful spring green, with very straight edges on the leaves, but the leaves are still 3 to 4 inches from reaching the surface of the water. It grew what I thought was going to be a flower stalk, but instead it has 3 or 4 baby plants budding, beginning to drop roots.

In order to mimize the tangling I was getting in the taller, browner plant, I have been trimming off the ends of the leaves so that they just touch the water's surface. It has reacted by sprouting all kinds of extra leaves, almost faster than I can keep it trimmed.

My questions are;

Why do they look so different if they were from the same package, supposedly same species?

Is it ok to continue to trim the leaves?

Will the baby Apongeton break off when they are ready, like my Java fern did? Or will I need to cut/break them off once they reach a certain size, like with a Spider-plant? (chlorophytum comosum)

The brownish one is almost center in this photo. The straight leaved one is almost out of frame, left-most edge right underneath the thermometer, and next to the Tardis.

Last edited by TakingthePlunge; 09-17-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: ETA photo
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

Also, if anyone knows what the bushy looking plant is in front of the Tardis, I would appreciate it. It's the only thing I don't have a name for. In the tank:

Two Apongeton, apparently different species
Water wisteria
Anubias
Amazon Sword
Java Fern
Mystery bushy plant

Plastic floating plants
Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 
RowdyBetta

I'm no expert by any means, believe me xD, but it look like pennywort to me. (The one in front of your amazing, beautiful TARDS.)
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #4 
TakingthePlunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyBetta View Post
I'm no expert by any means, believe me xD, but it look like pennywort to me. (The one in front of your amazing, beautiful TARDS.)

lol, My Tardis thanks you for the compliment. The growth pattern is right for Pennywort, but the leaves are smooth-edged, not lobed/wavy, and the leaves aren't cup-shaped like a lot of the pennywort pictures I've found. If it comes in a smooth-leaved variety, it might be, though.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #5 
RowdyBetta

I wonder if maybe different lighting can effect its looks?? I know it does with my water wisteria. xD
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #6 
TakingthePlunge

That may be what it is. Or maybe it's moneywort? IDK.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 
RowdyBetta

I was just looking up moneywort. xD It may be. Hopefully, someone more experienced can help. c:
Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 
TakingthePlunge

Bump Bump. Nudge.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #9 
rickey
Banned

Individual Aponogeton Bulbs plants are not always easy to identify due to hybridization.
Looks like moneywort to me

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #10 
tlatch89

Cool

I'm wondering about this as well. Three of my apons just started sending up what i thought were flower stalks, but it is really baby plants. They are now growing floating leaves. Kinda cool but i don't know what to do.

My other apon send out flower stalks, i removed them, and the plant when dormant. So i guess i shouldn't have removed the stalks.
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote