Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #11 
MNWILDBETTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
No way, another wild betta enthusiast in MN?! This is so exciting :P If you end up with extra albi fry I will totally take some off your hands. If you're in the metro area I could even come pick them up. Let me know if you ever get into the bigger mouthbrooders, I'll probably have some ocellata/pugnax to offload in the next 6 months and with our winters I will not be able to ship elsewhere til spring, so you would get first dibs.

Anyway, do you have snails in the tank? They seem to help eat the fuzz on driftwood. If not, the fuzz should clear up on its own eventually.

The fish themselves have very good coloration and appear healthy to me. The female in the third pic even looks eggy (unless you snapped the pic right after a meal).
Yes she just ate. I haven't been able to get the males to hold to term. Once the 2 store bought has been medicated fully I will throw a pair into the 10 gallon and see if they'll breed again. Will let everyone know for sure when I have grown fry. Do you happen to have albis as well?
MNWILDBETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #12 
MNWILDBETTA

My fancy tail Pleco is eating the fuzz from time to time.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #13 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDBETTA View Post
Yes she just ate. I haven't been able to get the males to hold to term. Once the 2 store bought has been medicated fully I will throw a pair into the 10 gallon and see if they'll breed again. Will let everyone know for sure when I have grown fry. Do you happen to have albis as well?
Not at the moment but I have had them before and am very familiar with them. I think male albis are a little slower to mature than other mouthbrooders. They will become better at holding over time. Don't be surprised if they take a year to really get things figured out. They breed like crazy but the whole caring for eggs part of it happens less often. Especially because the females usually want to spawn again and start bugging the males while they're still holding the last batch of eggs. If you are interested in a successful spawn, I'd highly encourage you to move the females to another tank once you know the males are holding. It's less stressful for the males this way. Then after the babies are swimming around, give the males at least a week without the females to rest and eat plenty of nutritious food.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #14 
MNWILDBETTA

Sad, both the store bought albis died. I am glad I quarantined them.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes previous bad conditions just catch up with them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #16 
babystarz

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDBETTA View Post
Sad, both the store bought albis died. I am glad I quarantined them.
That totally sucks! Feel free to join us in the wild species thread, there is at least one active member here breeding albis (Wildbetta) and you might be able to get some from the latest batch of fry:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116188
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #17 
MNWILDBETTA

UPDATE: I have 15 frys. Will post pic soon.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #18 
MNWILDBETTA

So shortly after the 2 store bought females died, my main bathroom pipe busted forcing me to move out for a whole month while repairs were being made. I had to move the fish to the kitchen and was only able to see them 3 times a week. During that time frame my pleco got hungry and sucked the guts out of one of my male albis and he died a week after I moved back into the house. The female that always followed him around got sad(I'm not kidding, they always swam together and never left each others side). She seemed depressed and died shortly after as well, which left me with 2 males and 2 female.

Not too long after I moved back, one of the pairs started spawning. I didn;t pay too much attention since they didn't hold to term the first time.

2 days later he was still holding to term so I started keeping track of the days he has been brooding. I caught him on day 10 and left him in a breeding net.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #19 
MNWILDBETTA

Here is my dominant female.

Here is the male brooding caught after 10 days and placed into the breeding net.

Here are the fry on 11/17/13. SO TINY!! I started feeding them BBS and microworms.

I placed them back into the breeding net simply because I didn't want them to die due to a big water change. I removed the plastic trim on the bottom of the net so they wouldn't get stuck. Works flawless. I have a few java fern, duckweed, and almond leaf in it.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #20 
MNWILDBETTA

I drained some water out and placed enough into this 5 gallon to use as a grow out tank until my 10 gallon is ready.