10 gallon sorority containing:
5 female Bettas, one in QT and two more on the way
1 VERY large pond snail I've dubbed "Brownie"
Jungle Valisneria
Water Wisteria
Sword
Mystery plant
Green Cabomba
Anubias (has a direct source of light from some shifting in the Wisteria)

10 gallon containing:
2 male Bettas
Some pond snails
One baby Mystery Snail
2 Swords
1 Java Fern
1 Water Wisteria
1 mystery plant
Some Green Cabomba

5 gallon containing:
4 female Guppies
1 Java Fern
3 Green Cabomba
3 baby Swords

I'm hoping to go get TONS more plants soon and put all of the swords in my 30 gallon or get rid of them, since when I got them the first time around I had NO clue how big they got. With the new ones in the 10 gallons I thought they were smaller than they actually were, haha! All the babies come off of a long dead one, and they've been growing a few months now.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #522 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu1776 View Post

And then this...

Until it completely overgrew and became this mini jungle!

Can you share what plants you have? I love the look of your tanks! (especially the plant in the foreground)

My tank is in serious need of replanting. I'm not having much luck with it lately. Everything is dying
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #523 
asu1776

Thanks! Here are pictures with the plants tagged. I buy my plants from plantedaquariumscentral.com They are great, ship fast, and usually give something extra.

I hear you about the plants dying part. I've tried so many foreground plants such as dwarf baby tears, baby tears, dwarf four leave clover, etc... I like the staurogyne repens since it's so low maintenance. Explodes with CO2 and ferts, but can survive without. Low light is okay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskandbowl View Post
Can you share what plants you have? I love the look of your tanks! (especially the plant in the foreground)

My tank is in serious need of replanting. I'm not having much luck with it lately. Everything is dying
asu1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #524 
whiskandbowl

Thanks ASU!

I'm using "tried and true" plants but they just don't seem to be doing well. Looking for some replacements so your pics really help!

I see in your second pic what looks like a diffuser. Do you use CO2 in your tanks?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #525 
asu1776

Yep. I use DIY CO2. If you look on Amazon, you can get a diffuser for cheap. Building the system is fun project and it usually leads to good results. Here is the setup I have which I found to work the best for a 10 gallon. I wouldn't recommend the use of a check valve as mine collected yeast buildup which resulted in a very big explosive mess.

Based on my experiences, I've noticed that my plants melted/died for two reasons.

1) insufficient light. Some plants are very light demanding and cannot be shaded. I had plants die simply because something was growing above it. Also the spectrum of light may be of importance. I think 6500k is the range where plants grow the best.

2) insufficient nutrients. Nitrogen starvation can lead to plants dying rather fast. Its one of those important products they use to grow.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #526 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Asu1776, that tank is absolutely beautiful. Great looking scape.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #527 
whiskandbowl

asu, mind if I PM you? I don't want to hijac this thread further but have been toying around with starting CO2 in my main tank
Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #528 
asu1776

Thanks Matt for the appreciation! Whiskandbowl, pm away!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #529 
RowdyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu1776 View Post
Btw, nice planted tank Rowdybetta! I like the ying and yang feel to it. Light colored betta and dark substrate vs dark colored betta and light substrate. They are brothers from two different worlds.
Thanks! It's still a major wip right now, after I lost most of my wisteria. -cries-

Btw, I keep meaning to ask, how many gallons is your tank? I drool over it everytime I see the pics. Seriously, that is one gorgeous tank!
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #530 
BettaCane

So this is technically the second time I've done an NPT, but my first one crashed a month in because algae just took over no matter what i did :[

But I like this one MUCH better now.
Attached Images

BettaCane is offline   Reply With Quote