Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #11 
Jadel

I think I've misunderstood what a heater is... I have a lamp at the top of my tank that is supposed to warm up the water a bit. I'm guessing that's a no-no lol
Jadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

lol yes i misunderstood too. I was talking about the heater. Hmmm the lamp i don't like to keep it 24/7 though. How warm is your room temperature? In the summer i keep my bettas without the heaters but when its cold i put heaters on , because my husband put the thermostat on 65* at night . So if you have steady in your house during the cold you really need the heater, you would not able to go away with the lamp:)

But adjustable though.
Penn Plax Cascade
Hagen Elite Mini Submersible
Hydor Theo
Marineland Visitherm

Most of, if not all of these heaters have to be ordered online or found in a local fish shop. Petsmart and Petco generally don't carry them. Good places to order are www.amazon.com and www.drsfostersmith.com

Last edited by ANHEL123; 09-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #13 
Jadel

I bought him today! I've kept the lamp on all day but will turn it off at night, like a normal day-night cycle. I'll get him used to that and feed him when I turn the lamp on and off. I hope that will train him to come up when I flick the lights on and off!

I live in a college dorm... with no A/C. On the third floor. I have a heater in the room, so I can always kick it on during the winter. I personally like the room a bit colder as does my roommate... eh I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. He seems happy & healthy today. He's just been circling the tank, amazing by all of the space he has, for the past few hours :)

Here is my final set up:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=272082

He's in spring water and is being fed omega one pellets and occasionally tetra freeze dried bloodworms. I will do 100% water changes once a week.

My ultimate goal is to see some bubble nests!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #14 
betafishie

Hi! So I was wondering, what makes a good betta bed? Because it seems like my Raindrop is always moving around so is there something for him to lie on? Also he seems bored. I was watching a movie and I put his bowl in front of the TV and he seemed interested. Is there something else to seize his attention?
betafishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #15 
Jadel

I was hoping that the silk plant leaf (the purple one in the link above your post) would serve as a bed for my Calcifer. I don't really know though :( This is my first betta.

As for boredom, I guess just having some interesting items in the tank and switching up the position of things every other cleaning might help with that? Cal really seems to like chasing bubbles, so maybe get something that makes those?
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

I love the tank and your betta not just simple red he is gorgeous! And i love the tips on his tail are different coloration.
Betta hammock i never had one for my bettas but a lot of people saying that old version of them has metal wire inside and can rust in the water and harm the betta. So be careful with it , you can remove it before you put it in the tank. Now sure if they still sell that hammock or they have new version of the hammock without the metal in it.
Bubble nest is cute but so you know not all betta do it and even if they made it , it just natural instinct which doesn't mean he is healthy. I have 9 betta now and not all of my bettas made it. All my bettas older than 1.8 year old. I actually lost my betta today he died over night. He was 4 years old happy betta. But i don't think he ever did bubble nest. So don't be upset if he didn't .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #17 
Blue Fish

Your boy is really cute, and I love your castle!

A heater really is necessary, their tank temp needs to be between 76 and 80, any lower and their immune systems suffer and they just won't live as long. (There are always exceptions to every rule...but your betta will be happier, more active, and overall healthier with properly heated water.) A heater also makes sure that the water temp doesn't fluctuate too much. Even in a room with a heater in the winter or no air in the summer can have pretty dramatic temp changes through a 24 hour period, and this is the worst for bettas. Constant temp is foremost important...jumps up and down will do more damage than even a tank that is constantly cold.

An adjustable heater is best, just a small one like a 25w, but if you just can't do that, then a preset heater is another option and usually cheaper. :)

I will admit that I am normally a 5+ gal person, but I'm not about to berate anyone over it. :) This is what you've got, and as long as it's kept clean, your boy can be very happy here. :) If you ever decide you want to cycle, a sponge filter would be the easiest to do. They're small, they don't have a current, and they're easy to cycle with a small tank like this one. :) It's not necessary, but it does cut down on your water changes, which is kind of nice. :)

I'd say the only thing you're really missing is a heater, otherwise he's looking good and happy in his new home! :)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 09-21-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote