Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #81 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Awesome. Any idea what girl you're going to breed him to first?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #82 
logisticsguy

Yes I think "Cookie" will be the first girl in the spawn tank. My lil nephews have named my giant girls, they really like to name the fish and are way better at it than I am. I have a 10g spawn tank ready to go already (you can tell how excited I am). the other green/blue giant girl is "Lambchop". The new boy is just under 3 inches which isn't too bad for a young giant. A little smaller than Moose at same age but not much.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #83 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Cookie's my favorite . I was secretly hoping you would breed her. Giants must need a fairly good sized grow out, right?

Any plans on diet changes or anything in light of Moose?

And you and I (and other breeders) should discuss female post-spawn care since its an issue that has killed both of our fish... Not sure if there's much else to do though.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #84 
logisticsguy

Im glad you like Cookie she is such a sweet fish. I have a 33g grow out for the spawn to start and may add a 55g if needed. the only change for diet has been to be really careful about food quality. Bloodworms are still a small part of the diet but super careful about freshness and re freezing. Also now experimenting with adding vitamin b-12 to diet.

Post spawn female care is something I am really worried about and have been since Binky and my old female giant passed soon after spawning. I feel Syriiven is right on in analysis of the dangers. So what I did last time was to add 1 tsp AQ salt to my water as well as a half dose of Paraguard. I am not saying this is the right thing to do at all but my female did just fine after spawning with this. I guess other meds could be used as a preventative for bacteria and parasites. Just want to be as pro active as possible to help them. As you know Im not all that big on salts but in this case it may be necessary. Paraguard is not too harsh and is wide spectrum. Im am open to any ideas or experiences of others on this subject.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #85 
peachii

He is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see this spawn, I adore Giant's! An EE light colored big fin Giant would be my dream betta. It's sad you are in Canada because pretty sure I would love one of these babies... might have to smuggle it past Stone :P
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #86 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I honestly don't know if it's an opportunistic infection or a stress-response type thing. I know Binky dropsied and I would assume the reason is stress and injuries from the spawn left her susceptible to the infection, but my two girls went without a symptom (behavioral, external, AND internal). It could very well be from the containers I had them in but it can't be a coincidence that the first two to die were the two that just spawned. Aluka just lost her girl post spawn to, so we aren't the only ones with this happening. I think the way to go might be conditions that keep stress at a bare minimum (clean water, darkened tank, ial)... That would help prevent infection as well. Salt and paraguard at therapeutic doses couldn't hurt...

I'm still trying to meet up with Shae and get VE and white worms in exchange for BW and MW... Next time I'm in Calgary (or you're in Edmonton) I could give you a starter. Your giants would enjoy the worms.

I still can't believe how awesome that giant boy is. You definitely made the right choice!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #87 
BettaLover1313

Your new male is gorgeous! I love the names of the females as well, particularly Lambchop!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #88 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
He is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see this spawn, I adore Giant's! An EE light colored big fin Giant would be my dream betta. It's sad you are in Canada because pretty sure I would love one of these babies... might have to smuggle it past Stone :P
I have found a way to get the fish to the US a little easier and cheaper but its still too expensive. Who knows maybe we can find a way to get you and Stone a baby giant when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Your new male is gorgeous! I love the names of the females as well, particularly Lambchop!
Thanks much! kids give fish much better names and they suit the girls personality.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #89 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I honestly don't know if it's an opportunistic infection or a stress-response type thing. I know Binky dropsied and I would assume the reason is stress and injuries from the spawn left her susceptible to the infection, but my two girls went without a symptom (behavioral, external, AND internal). It could very well be from the containers I had them in but it can't be a coincidence that the first two to die were the two that just spawned. Aluka just lost her girl post spawn to, so we aren't the only ones with this happening. I think the way to go might be conditions that keep stress at a bare minimum (clean water, darkened tank, ial)... That would help prevent infection as well. Salt and paraguard at therapeutic doses couldn't hurt...

I'm still trying to meet up with Shae and get VE and white worms in exchange for BW and MW... Next time I'm in Calgary (or you're in Edmonton) I could give you a starter. Your giants would enjoy the worms.

I still can't believe how awesome that giant boy is. You definitely made the right choice!
Agreed that keeping stress at a low level is important. The mild dose of salt and meds was the only solution I could think of to help fight off the bacteria and parasites the female is so prone to after spawning. My old giant girl went just like yours quickly and with no sign of a reason for it.

I hope you do see Shae because I cant find the white worms or VE around here at all and the Giants would love the worms. Glad you like the new boy too and really hoping for a success with the upcoming spawns. I think they could produce some really cool looking fry.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #90 
Quinn

WOW that new guy is gorgeous! I love the girls too though. Can't wait to see what the spawns are like.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote