Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #1 
BettaPrincess13

Something happened during my Maracyn Two Treatment

Hey everyone! I'm currently treating my betta with Maracyn Two. last night I put in the first dose and this morning this LARGE outbreak of white fuzzy mold looking stuff I'm guessing a type of fungus that I've never had engulfed my live plants and wood decor O_O I took out the wood decors and scrubbed the stuff off in hot water then let it sit in a bucket of conditioned water before placing it back in the tank. I had to throw out one of my plants which was completely dead from this outbreak completely covered in this stuff and now my see my water wisteria is also dead and covered in this fuzz

I'm not sure how long this stuff had been growing or if it was caused by the meds but I just noticed it today. could this have caused my fish's sickness?

my tank has only been cycling for 2 almost 3 weeks now params were at 0 last I checked and PH 7.6

He hasn't been eating and I've been trying my best to take out uneaten food but it falls apart and I can't get it all and since Im currently treating him I cant do a water change (I did one last night before starting treatment) I know uneaten food can cause bacterial outbreaks but I don't think they're is to much in there and I did a 50% water change yesterday before starting the treatment taking out anything that could of built up.

my question is does anyone know what this is? is it harmful? should I throw out anything covered in it? and how to get rid of it and to prevent it?

he's swimming around a little more since treatment began which is good still isn't eating and still has pop-eye and stuff but I'm afraid of this bacteria making his bacterial infections worse while I'm trying my best with these meds to cure him cause he's been nibbling at it...he's been eating plant roots, his poop, and fungus but when I offer him his pellets he refuses them...

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-18-2013 at 01:10 PM.
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #2 
BettaPrincess13

had to do an emergency water change despite having medication in the tank. I went to take out the water wisteria and it was the holder of all the fungus. in immediately fell apart and there was so much fungus my tank went completely opaque so I had to do a 50% water change checked parameters everything's stable.

I've lost ALL my live plants ): going to have to get some new ones once I start getting paid at my new job which wont be for a while so its going to really affect my cycle :/

I'm going to continue with medication but sadly I had to do that water change. I really don't know where all this fungus is coming from but its destroying everything! and my fish is eating this stuff. its a disaster
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Its fine that you change the water even if you treating , you can just redose new water with the required dose of the medications. Sometimes people recommending to do daily water changes even though the instructions are not. So its fine.

The problem is that i read that Maracyn's drugs do not work in the pH higher than 7.2 Do you have any other medications on hand? Furan 2, kanaplex, triple sulfa, or other fungus cure meds?

How long you have your betta?
How long he is acting sick?
Can you post the picture?
What place the fungus on his body?
Is the fungus white and fuzzy like you said or its more clear and slimy?
When you change the water is it still there or its pilling off?
What is the temp in his tank? If its really fungus you need to lower the temp to at least 76* , some people even saying 74*

I would put him in that 5 gall tank that you are trying to cycle and start doing daily water changes. Start with a few 50% now if you can . Do a few 50% about 1 hr a part. Then continue with daily water changes. You can lower the water so it will easier for you to change it. You can alternate 50% and 100% daily water changes. And just redose the required dose of the mes's
Just take everything out from the tank including the filter. The fact that you put him back in the tank and trying to cycle it, if he is sick now will not help him. Also i still sure that Maracyn 's don't work in the high pH. But if you saying that he is better since you using it you can continue and see if it really helps then use it , if its not helping then stop it.

Also go to any pharmacy department and buy unscented Epsom salt . Should be pure 100% magnesium sulfate (NO ADDITIVES) It will help with the pop eye. Pre mix 1 tsp/gall in the jog and make sure its dissolved . Add it to his tank when you do the water changes. Redose the Epsom salt with every water change. See if its helps. The dose of the Epsom in your tank should be 1 tsp/gall
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #4 
jadaBlu

I kind of thoughtyou can't put antibiotics in a live plant tank. I am going to ask about that if you want to follow in the NPT section. I gathered you have to remove the fish to a hospital tank. Erythromycin is supposed to help with popeye along with ES.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #5 
BettaPrincess13

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Its fine that you change the water even if you treating , you can just redose new water with the required dose of the medications. Sometimes people recommending to do daily water changes even though the instructions are not. So its fine.

The problem is that i read that Maracyn's drugs do not work in the pH higher than 7.2 Do you have any other medications on hand? Furan 2, kanaplex, triple sulfa, or other fungus cure meds?

How long you have your betta?
How long he is acting sick?
Can you post the picture?
What place the fungus on his body?
Is the fungus white and fuzzy like you said or its more clear and slimy?
When you change the water is it still there or its pilling off?
What is the temp in his tank? If its really fungus you need to lower the temp to at least 76* , some people even saying 74*

I would put him in that 5 gall tank that you are trying to cycle and start doing daily water changes. Start with a few 50% now if you can . Do a few 50% about 1 hr a part. Then continue with daily water changes. You can lower the water so it will easier for you to change it. You can alternate 50% and 100% daily water changes. And just redose the required dose of the mes's
Just take everything out from the tank including the filter. The fact that you put him back in the tank and trying to cycle it, if he is sick now will not help him. Also i still sure that Maracyn 's don't work in the high pH. But if you saying that he is better since you using it you can continue and see if it really helps then use it , if its not helping then stop it.

Also go to any pharmacy department and buy unscented Epsom salt . Should be pure 100% magnesium sulfate (NO ADDITIVES) It will help with the pop eye. Pre mix 1 tsp/gall in the jog and make sure its dissolved . Add it to his tank when you do the water changes. Redose the Epsom salt with every water change. See if its helps. The dose of the Epsom in your tank should be 1 tsp/gall
How long you have your betta? 4 months
How long he is acting sick? 3 weeks
Can you post the picture? sure I can get some up in the next few hours
What place the fungus on his body? gill area and he started showing signs of septicemia a few days ago so I ran out and bought Maracyn Two. he also has pop-eye the fungus from the tank came off it had just attached to him while it was floating in that 10 gal tank when he was in it.
Is the fungus white and fuzzy like you said or its more clear and slimy? its stringy in some places and in others it looks like molded fruits its slimy to the touch
When you change the water is it still there or its pilling off? every time I'd do a water change it would continually come out from the gravel float around and make my water milky so I cleaned out the whole tank
What is the temp in his tank? If its really fungus you need to lower the temp to at least 76* , some people even saying 74. I don't really know exactly what he has Ive just been diagnosing off of symptoms.

- circling
- darting
- flashing
- rubbing against everything and anything
- pop-eye ( I assume its pop-eye its swollen, cloudy)
- blood spots around the infected eye, head, and gills
- not eating but will eat the fungus and plant roots ( this I don't understand) but he hasn't eaten his food in a week and a half now its beginning to worry me
- purplish red colored gills
- clamped torn fins
- lethargic
- Having problems swimming straight. every time he swims down his body turns him every which way and he cant go straight so instead of going down his body flips him and he goes up...

I don't have any other fungus meds actually ): I really need to get some of that kanaplex but I've heard its only online but a lot of people recommend it on this site. Maracyn Two has kinda been working but he still wont eat ):

I'm actually not cycling the 5 gal tank thats only his temp QT tank until the 10 gal is cycled after that fungal takeover.

I bought Tetra SafeStart Plus is that ok to use? how to go about a fishless cycle? never done one before. and do I need pure ammonia? I don't know where to find any

Ive actually done an epsom salt treatment the 1st week then I tried General Cure for gill flukes it wasn't helping so I switched to Maracyn Two. At this point I think I permanently damaged his internal organs and kidneys with all this medicating

jadablu: yeah it says on the box "recommend using QT tank" so Im guessing the medication killed the plants and started the fungus outbreak? so in his 5 gal QT tank he has nothing but some decor. whats the NPT section?

Carl right now: thats the eye thats swollen. sorry the pic is blurred Im using my android :/ my sisters Iphone takes better pictures but she's not home right now and wont be until late tonight but I can try getting some better ones when she gets home. and a better look at the eye

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #6 
BettaPrincess13

the fungus is actually hanging off his fins its stringy like I just noticed it now and its all over the bottom of the QT tank
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

wow he looks perfectly fine on the picture though. But the symptoms that you saying he has like darting,rubbing, flashing looks like the have external parasites.

Also i was thinking if that slimy stuff on him can be his slime coat . Sometimes fish can produce extra slime coat from having parasites on them.

Is there any way you can hold stable temperature in his tank 88*? The temperature over 88* will speed up parasite cycle and let them fall faster so you can remove them with full water changes.

Do you have aquarium salt?

Did you do water changes yesterday?

I think he is sick any we need to figure out what it is so we can help him . You don't need to transfer to any other tank until he get better. But he also sick for long time. I think its sound like may be ich but i also afraid if he might have gill flukes. I know you treated him , not sure if you got rid of them. Let us know if you can maintain , raise the temp in the tank to 88*. Its very important ...
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #8 
BettaPrincess13

Quote:
wow he looks perfectly fine on the picture though. But the symptoms that you saying he has like darting,rubbing, flashing looks like the have external parasites.

Also i was thinking if that slimy stuff on him can be his slime coat . Sometimes fish can produce extra slime coat from having parasites on them.

Is there any way you can hold stable temperature in his tank 88*? The temperature over 88* will speed up parasite cycle and let them fall faster so you can remove them with full water changes.

Do you have aquarium salt?

Did you do water changes yesterday?

I think he is sick any we need to figure out what it is so we can help him . You don't need to transfer to any other tank until he get better. But he also sick for long time. I think its sound like may be ich but i also afraid if he might have gill flukes. I know you treated him , not sure if you got rid of them. Let us know if you can maintain , raise the temp in the tank to 88*. Its very important ...
You don't think it's a bacterial infection or fungal? like septicemia? I have it down at 79 just in case it was bacterial/fungal but I can bring it up if you think thats best. its hard to tell what he has but Ive shined a flashlight on him a couple of times and he doesn't look sandy or grainy just the same white spots he's had on his face since I bought him and the same shiny specs he's had since I got him

He was put into new water yesterday and I was going to do another tonight cause there is a lot of that white stuff at the bottom of the tank and stringy stuff that was attached to him that maybe he picked up when he brushed against it.

yep I have API aquarium salt and Swam epsom salt Im just afraid of over medicating. how much medication can he take in such a short time? and do you think his swollen eye is pop-eye?

I wish I knew how to upload videos from the phone to here I would get a video of him and the stuff in his tank

he did eat a pellet this morning! took him an hour but he finished it. generally I don't leave uneaten food but I plan to do many water changes so I figured the water quality would be ok with 50% daily water changes. he did eat it though which he hasn't eaten in almost 2 weeks. he didn't eat his normal 2 pellets (didn't want to throw a second one in there) but he now finally has something in his stomach. because he hasn't been eating he hasn't been pooping so Im unsure if he has anything internal but the last time he did poop before he stopped eating it was brown and before occasional white strings attached but it only happened twice and it went back to brown but now I don't know since he hasn't done it recently.

it could be slime coat its ALL over the bottom of the tank and it was on his floating log this morning all stringy so either the fungus got transferred to his new 5 gal QT tank or he's shedding this stuff everywhere

is there a reason why he's eating this stuff????????? and its all over his chin and fins

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-20-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Its very difficult for me because on the picture he really looks like he is just a healthy looking betta. I don't see pop eye, bloating, nothing visual on the body.

If he getting better continue Maracyn but do not use longer than recommendation on the box.

The slimy stuff i am thinking can be his slime coat because its coming on and off, and its all over in the tank. I would think if its would be a fungus it will be directly only on him, not in the tank.
Pictures fish with fungus

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=163137&page=2
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=168466

What confusing me that you said all those symptoms:darting, flashing, rubbing those symptoms usually for external parasites or internal parasites

Then you wrote that he having problems swimming straight. every time he swims down his body turns him every which way and he cant go straight so instead of going down his body flips him and he goes up... THIS SOUND LIKE SWIM BLADDER problems.
So i think he has a few issues going on. And you saying that his poo back to normal but it was whitish meaning that something going on internally . So try to monitor his poo . If there nothing in the tank its will be easier for you to do it.

Check the pictures , i don't think he has it? Because if he don't have fungus i would try to increase the temp just in case its ich. If he still rubbing and darting , and flashing i really think he might has some parasites.

Also meanwhile do daily water changes ,even though you are using med's. Just redose the new water with required dose of the meds for the day.
Try to feed him because he need strength to fight what ever he has. I would really recommend to go to the store and but frozen blood worms. If he is eating though. Frozen food has a lot of protein and will help the immune system.

If you can order kanaplex it good to have it on hands anyway if you going to have a betta in your life. Its treats both ext and internal infection.
Maracyn II also the only one antibiotic that absorb through the skin/gills and reach internal infection. But i am not sure if its works in high pH. But since he started eating i would continue it.

When is last treatment for the Maracyn?
Its good that you saying you have Epsom salt its also helps with internal infection . So see how he doing with meds may you will need to use Epsom later.

I am sorry for my disorganized post , i am at work with many people coming to the room , and doing a lot of stuff so its kind of difficult to be organized since i am doing personal stuff lol

Last edited by ANHEL123; 09-20-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #10 
BettaPrincess13

Quote:
Its very difficult for me because on the picture he really looks like he is just a healthy looking betta. I don't see pop eye, bloating, nothing visual on the body.

If he getting better continue Maracyn but do not use longer than recommendation on the box.

The slimy stuff i am thinking can be his slime coat because its coming on and off, and its all over in the tank. I would think if its would be a fungus it will be directly only on him, not in the tank.
Pictures fish with fungus

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=163137&page=2
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=168466

What confusing me that you said all those symptoms:darting, flashing, rubbing those symptoms usually for external parasites or internal parasites

Then you wrote that he having problems swimming straight. every time he swims down his body turns him every which way and he cant go straight so instead of going down his body flips him and he goes up... THIS SOUND LIKE SWIM BLADDER problems.
So i think he has a few issues going on.

Check the pictures , i don't think he has it? Because if he don't have fungus i would try to increase the temp just in case its ich. If he still rubbing and darting , and flashing i really think he might has some parasites.

Also meanwhile do daily water changes ,even though you are using med's. Just redose the new water with required dose of the meds for the day.
Try to feed him because he need strength to fight what ever he has. I would really recommend to go to the store and but frozen blood worms. If he is eating though. Frozen food has a lot of protein and will help the immune system.

You saying that his poo back to normal but it was whitish so he might has also internal infection.

If you can order kanaplex it good to have it on hands anyway if you going to have a betta in your life. Its treats both ext and internal infection.
Maracyn II also the only one antibiotic that absorb through the skin/gills and reach internal infection. But i am not sure if its works in high pH. But since he started eating i would continue it.

When is last treatment for the Maracyn?
Its good that you saying you have Epsom salt its also helps with internal infection . So see how he doing with meds may you will need to use Epsom later.
Monitor his poop to see if it normal color and shape.
I am sorry for my disorganized post , i am at work with many people coming to the room , and doing a lot of stuff so its kind of difficult to be organized since i am doing personal stuff lol
its not disorganized at all don't worry

I just did a water change and put in the next dose of Maracyn Two

Ill get better pics tonight and post them on here. he had the stringy stuff attached to him but when I just did the water change I don't see any so I think its just sticking to him when he rubs against to to go eat it

he is having so many problems and symptoms its hard to tell what he has and if anything he may have twenty thousand different things at once

his last does of Maracyn treatment in saturday

I started to increase the temp. someone on here said that high temps are bad and make bettas sick

the darting and flashing has simmered down. but he's very skittish and freaks out over the smallest movement ESPECIALLY when I did the water change. he's in between lethargic and active. he will swim then stop then start again. still has that SBD swimming straight problem but is looking around for food and ate a little this morning. that eye though is about to pop out of his head and I saw a few specs of goldish silver on his body when I shined the flashlight but not so much as to look like ich or velvet. the eyes the worst thing right now I'll post a closer better picture of it tonight.

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 09-20-2013 at 02:03 PM.