Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #1 
LuluAngelie

So I'm sort of new at this...

I used to have a betta back when I was a kid. He lasted for seven years! He was the most beautiful fish ever and hew as in a half a gallon tank thing and he was always content. Well fast forward a decade and I want my son's first pet, a blue crown tail betta named nemo [because my son thinks anything with fins is a lost clownfish] to be safe. We got him a one gallon tank, filtered, aerated and heated. He was doing great, two weeks and a bubble nest. Well we got him a ten gallon tank just because The ten gallon was a DOLLAR more than the five gallon and I just thought it'd be a better investment. Well it was one of those sets that comes with everything you need... all I bought was the gravel and some decorations. Issue is he looks spazztic. He's swimming really fast, I feel that maybe the circulation in the tank might be too much for him and I have no idea if I'm just being a paranoid tank mommy.
Attached Images

LuluAngelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #2 
Saber

He may be frightened because of the large open space. You will need to get a lot more plants for him to hide and swim around in, and I personally recommend getting the silk plants rather than the plastic ones, because bettas can and will tear their fins on the hard plastic ones. Your new guy is very cute, so keep us updated with his progress!
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #3 
whiskandbowl

I agree with Saber, he's probably freaking out because of how much open space there is. I would add some more plants and maybe a floating betta log- my betta Powerball loves his!

Judging by the bubbles in the pic it does look like your filter may be a bit strong. I would fill up the tank more so the water had less distance to fall and makes less of a current. There's also a thread on here on how to baffle a filter, I would also look in to doing that
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote