Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #1 
Theia

Sick betta-Cotton on his tail (?)

Hello,
I'm here to ask for help regarding my (first) fish (Ever), Tsunami.
He is a red, male crown tail betta that I got from Walmart.
You can see him (healthy) here:http://tsunami-the--betta.tumblr.com/image/61639983567

The problem: He's got white, cotton-like things hanging off this tail.

Back story: I have had this first for approx 10 months and everything was fine until I had to leave him for the summer with my roommate. When I came back, Tsunami was lethargic though his appetite was normal, but his fins looked...way different and he had grown this blue spot on his side. You can see this from the pictures. I didn't know what was up with the blue spot, but the fin thing looked, as far as I could tell, like fin rot. So, I went to Petco where I bought a product called Triple Sulfa (the powder version) and used that. I used it was recommended a first time, and Tsunami's behaviour changed. He was back to normal, swimming around all happy like before. But that's when the cotton-y white things appeared on his tail. I got worried, and a few days later decided to re-do the Triple Sulfa treatment. The white things are still hanging off his tail, but now they're getting thicker.
He looked like this two days ago:
http://tsunami-the--betta.tumblr.com/image/61640044370
Tonight he looked (a little overfed, yes :/) like this:
http://tsunami-the--betta.tumblr.com/image/61640959195

Question: Is Tsunami really sick or am I overreacting? If he is sick, what do I do? (Keep in mind: I have a very, very small budget...I mean, minimal.)
(Keep in mind #2: I'm kind of emotionally attached to this fish, so I need him to be okay.)
Any help/comments would be much appreciated!

Facts about Tsunami:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? No clue, though I live in Florida so...I'm guessing it's not cold in there.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No air stone, but the tank has a top with a hole for feeding/air.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's all alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? It's called BettaMin Tropical Medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? One small pinch at 8 am, another at 9 pm.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Three times a week I change about 30% of the water. Then I do a 100% water change every 15 days.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? The new water I pour in has been treated with Jungle Start Right or Nutrafin's BettaPlus tap water conditioner. It was also left to sit in a container in direct sunlight for a day and subsequently moved away from the sunlight for a few hours prior to the water change.
Theia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #2 
Aquatail

Take a look at this and see if you can find one that fits. From what I can see, only two mention cottony stuff. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 
Theia

Thanks for your reply, Aquatail.
I checked the list and it could be a 'true fungal infection' but my only issue with this is that I already used a medication (Triple Sulfa which is the one recommended in the list) twice. So, third time's the charm? Will it harm Tsunami if I medicate him again?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #4 
Aquatail

Do you mean two doses or two times doing all four doses? The sticky above says "Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared." I'm not sure exactly how long it is supposed to take though or if after two times doing all four doses you should do something else. I have never treated anything like this.

Sorry I can't give you all the answers. Has he gotten better at all or have two full four day treatments of the meds not done anything? Hopefully someone who has treated something like this can give you more answers.

Last edited by Aquatail; 09-20-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #5 
Aquatail

Also, have you checked to see if it fits Columnaris on the sticky or are you sure it's a True Fungal Infection? Those are the only two that mention cotton. Does he have any other symptoms? It looks like Triple Sulfa is recomended for Columnaris too though.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #6 
beautiful Betta

I don't know what active ingredients are in triple sulfa, but I always swear by products that contain malachite green.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #7 
Theia

Oh, sorry, Aquatail. I mean I've done all four doses twice (of the Triple Sulfa).
The only reason that makes me think it's not Columnaris is that it's not a "rapid" anything, meaning his fins haven't continued to disintegrate and that the cotton-y growth is located only on his tail and only at the bottom bit of his tail. Plus, he's been pretty active and his appetite is stable.
However, if Columnaris were the problem, I've already treated it with the Triple Sulfa, like you said, which should've made it go away.
As far as other symptoms go, there's nothing else. Just the cotton on his tail and the random blue spot that appeared on his side.
Thanks for your help, though. I think I'm just going to try the aquarium salt treatment.

Beautiful Betta, I just checked and Triple Sulfa doesn't contain malachite green. I'll keep that in mind, though. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #8 
Aquatail

Ok, yeah, try the aquarium salt and see if that helps at all. Please keep us updated on his condition.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

You're taking excellent care of him, and the Triple Sulfa was an excellent medication to use....

Since you've done the entire course of treatment for the Triple Sulfa, I would phase that out now.

I would increase the frequency of your water changes. This is an excellent way to remove bacteria or pathogens from the water. A small amount of Aquarium salt is something that you can try next....

Normally, I would recommend lowering the water temp to about 76-77F, since it slows down bacterial growth - but you're not using a heater. I do recommend picking up a thermometer like this one. It's good to monitor the water temp, even if you live in Florida. Bettas do best at temps between 77-84F, with 79-80F being considered 'ideal.'

If water changes and Aquarium salt isn't effective in two days, I would stop the Aquarium salt, and instead use a furan antibiotic such as: API Furan 2, or Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear.

Here's a potential plan for you to consider. There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. I'll provide one possible way to do it.

Today (Day 1):
  1. Premix a "treatment solution" by stirring 1 teaspoon Aquarium salt into a gallon of room temperature water. Add conditioner. Be sure the salt is completely dissolved.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank, and refill with the "treatment solution."
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Longer is OK.)
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Longer is OK.)
  7. Repeat the two above steps, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  8. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

Tomorrow (Day 2):
1) Mix up another gallon of "treatment solution."
2) Remove 50% of the water from his tank.
3) Refill about 25% using the treatment solution.
4) Wait at least 15 minutes, then refill the other 25%.

Day 3: Assess the situation.

Option A) If the white fuzz is gone, then do nothing today. Do a 100% water change on day 4 using plain water. This will remove the Aquarium salt. Continue doing 50% water changes every other day..... After a week, start doing one 100% water change and two 50% water changes per week.

Option B) If the fuzz is not gone, then do a 100% water change to remove the Aquarium salt. Start using a furan based antibiotic such as API Furan 2, or Bifuran, or Jungle Fungle Clear. (If you need directions on how to dose this for a 1 gal tank, let us know.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

P.S. Are you sure the white tips are cottony fungus-like growth? Could it just be new growth, which can be white and a bit 'frilly?'
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick, white cotton