Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #1 
SalsaMom

New tank set up - pic - thoughts?

Ok - this my 6 year old daughters new tank - thus the Barbie and wild gravel.
It's the Hawkeye from Walmart. Notice I've NOT put water in it yet - it's not in its final place yet either
This is a pic of it with the filter, heater and current ornaments/silk plants in place so I can get ideas before I put water in it.

The filter has a little 'baffle' on it which I have in place in this pic. I'm not sure I love where the heater is (Hydor 25 watt)....
We have three more silk plants coming from Amazon later this coming week. They should be around the size of the ones in there now.

Thoughts on where we have stuff so far? All of this stuff has been rinsed in hot water only...I put the (new, never used) black mug in there for a 'cave' - note that I have it turned away from the filter output.
We also have a Betta hammock I'll put in later and a thermometer that sits on the bottom.

Goal is later today to get it in it's final spot and fill it up, let it run a day or two to make sure heater and all are ok and go from there. I might wait until the new silk plants come in before we go buy a fish....not sure.

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  55.0 KB
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
Soph7244

How many gallons is in it? its looks very cute and i would probably recommend another live plant if possible. Also, try and give your new little Betta some more places to hide while hes getting used to all of you. It'll make him feel happier and safer
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #3 
SalsaMom

It's 5 gallons....we ordered three more silk plants from Amazon...they won't be here till next week some time.
I might just be patient and not even fill it with water until we get the other three plants in...

I'm getting used to Bettas appreciating tighter surroundings (this is our first Betta tank)....my past tanks I've always had swimmers that needed some place to move around!
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #4 
Soph7244

if your super excited to fill ti up. you should also try everything out and start a fishless cycle. you should also see if the heater is working fine and the filter too. make sure the filter is not too strong or it will stress him
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

I say that you're good with the additional plants. :) You may need to eventually get some that are tall enough to reach the surface (bettas favorites are the ones they can be barely submerged while they hide in), but you've covered all the bases. :)

And LOL about the Barbie and gravel! ;) You really need a pinkish betta to go in there, so he can match. ;) I'm sure your daughter is going to love him. :)
I like the shape of the tank too, I've considered getting one of these from walmart for a desk tank...all my others are 20g longs, so they're far too big for a desk...but these have always looked just perfect... ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote