Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #1 
caltha

freeze dried bloodworms?

so i bought some tetra freeze dried bloodworms for my little fishy. i read that they're supposed to be given as treats, in conjunction with its staple meal. so a few questions, how often should i feed these? every other day, every 2 days? also, how many am i supposed to feed him? i am totally clueless on this, but i would think like...3? i feed him 4 pellets a day so. and the final question, the days that i feed him these does it replace the pellets completely for that day? thanks to anyone who can help me out :)
caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #2 
Polkadot

I feed my little boys a freezedried bloodworm as a treat twice a week.I only give them 1 each.I feed my Veiltail boys 4 pellets twice a day & on treat days I give them the FDBW at their evening meal & I drop the pellets to 3 with the 1 FDBW.My Plakat boy has 6 pellets twice a day & I give him 5 pellets & 1 FDBW for his evening meal on treat days.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #3 
beautiful Betta

IMO frozen is a better form, freeze dried can contain air which can cause digestive problems if they get air in their gut, I would suggest with freeze dried you at least pre soak them for a good five minutes to help release any trapped air. I personally don't use freeze dried now after I had read that info, and just feed on alternative days pre soaked pellets and a frozen tropical mix.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
caltha

just an update, he will NOT eat the bloodworms at all! he ate one yesterday, then today he tries it but spits it out! oooohh that picky little fish.....i also thought it might be the size of it but even when i cut it in half he completely ignores it! any other live foods i could try giving him? don't think he's a fan oh bloodworms :P
caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #5 
beautiful Betta

if you go to your local pet store you would probably be able to get a frozen tropical mix, not all mixed in in one cube but a mix of individual frozen cubes from brine shrip to blood worm. what I do is chop the frozen cube in about 4 pieces and wrap the unused pieces in tin foil to keep fresh, using a different frozen food each time. I defrost a portion in a small drop of water in a cup and pick out about six of best pieces with tweezers and feed each bit one at a time when he's ready that way I get no mess of uneaten food in the water, I do the same with the pellets, I don't mind I enjoy watching him eat. mine wouldn't eat freeze dried bloodworms either, but loves the frozen ones.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote