Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #1 
bambijarvis

Exo Terra Moss Ball?

I have plants in my tanks and do regular waterchanges as needed, but I was thinking of adding an "Exo Terra Moss Ball" to a 5(not yet planted) or 10 gallon baby fry tank(lightly planted).
I don't have an algea problem but it's supposed to help with that and "Traps phosphate, nitrite and nitrate".

Has anyone used these, is it worth having one/do they work?
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

I've wondered about these as well. But, I don't think they're actually moss, or any live plant, they're some sort of constructed thing made to look like a moss ball.

Also, I wonder what's in there that's "trapping" the phosphate, nitrite and nitrate? Not knowing how it works makes me suspicious that does what it claims, and HOW it does that. I mean, ammonia chips seem like a great idea until you realize that it's actually a *terrible* idea if you ever want to cycle a tank.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #3 
bambijarvis

They're not live, just made to look so(I wanted something as a back up incase my plants die off I guess?)
It uses a " a special absorption resin" but I haven't looked to see what that is made of yet.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I bet it's some sort of clay...I use some natural products on my horses, and one of the best is a naturally derived clay that comes in a powder and then can be made into a paste. I wonder if it's something like that.

I keep hoping that someone who knows more is going to post about this, I'm curious now! ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote