Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #11 
DragonFish

Ahh, thats wonderful! :D Good to know things are going well! :)

I'm in agreement with DQ, your staple should consist of a good pellet such as Hikari betta bio gold, Wardleys, or I personally use HBH betta bites. OR you can get all three and switch it up for a variety ;) Flakes are OK for a little variety as well on occasion, but you definitely need a pellet for your staple. Anything freeze-dried should be fed sparingly and once or twice weekly as a treat. They should also be re-hydrated before feeding to prevent bloating issues. Personally, I think theres a bit to much risk in feeding freeze-dried because it can cause bloating so easily(which can lead to swimbladder problems)and I've read conflicting opinions on the amount of nutrition it really contains.....so I stay away from it and stick with frozen. Though many will say that its just fine and they've had no problems with freeze-dried....so its up to you to decide if you want to feed it or not ;)

Also, don't forget to fast her once a week! Its good for their digestive system ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #12 
Dingles

Eh, I bought pellets for my very first (and very missed) female betta, Meeps.
But she couldn't eat them cause they were about as big as her face. So I tried breaking them into smaller fragments, but to no avail.
I even had to crush up her flakes so that she wouldn't spit them out cause they were too big, but at least those she ate. I'll try crushing these flakes up more cause the only ones they didn't eat were the big chunks; but then they'd go and swallow a whole worm/shrimp chunk all at once. So I dunno..
Picky picky picky...

Also:
I've heard people say that freeze dried is the best cause it ensures that 100% of bacteria is killed. Some say that even frozen can have SOME bacteria and make fish sick. It's probably variable depending on the fish. Like if it's immune system is weakened for any reason you should stay away from frozen and use freeze dried. But I'll be careful and keep a close eye on her, and I'll use them mainly as treats and rewards; and I'll stick with freeze dried but I'll try soaking them like you said.. Poor Peeps doesn't need any more ailments. : (
I'll give her time to settle and get strong and healthy before trying any frozen food.

Which brings me to my next question/concern..
Peeps has three tiny white specks on her right fin, which at first I thought were tiny bubbles that just stuck to her cause she's been playing with them and they seemed to shine under the light, but they haven't gone away. She also keeps spazzing out now and then when she goes to the left wall of the tank and swims into the glass and gets all striped and pale like she was in the temporary holding bowl. And she always goes back to normal when I distract her with something, or when she plays with bubbles, or goes into her skull ornament. I only express concern cause she didn't do that in the first tank she was in.. Is it just cause it's such a big space for her all at once?
Dingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #13 
DragonFish

Pellets are very important for a staple, they have all sorts of nutrients and good stuff in them. If she won't eat one brand, try another. Crushing them up is a good idea if they're larger, or even soaking them would be good...even though it gets bigger when you soak it, she could pick it apart easier. From what I've been told, flakes aren't a good staple because they contain a lot of plant matter and Bettas are carnivores....so its not so good for their digestive system. Se if you can snag a couple different pellet brands when you go out next to try ;)

Hikari brand frozen food is the best, very well sterilized and safe. I've never once had any issues with my frozen food. What you need to watch out for is the live food, thats where the real danger of parasites and such are. Though, again, its up to your preference as there is a lot of conflicting info out there.....though I will always advise frozen over freeze-dried. But yes, definitely soak the freeze-dried before feeding....10-15 minutes in a little cup of tank water should e good :)

I'm afraid I'm not so good with diseases.....that a whole lot of experience in that field. Though a picture would help greatly, its difficult to say what it might be without one.
As for the swimming.....does it happen when your over on that side of the tank? She may just see you...as for the stress stripes, I'm not sure on that one. My girls are funky and show stripes at the most random times, I'll never figure them out. If she just does it at random when your not on that side of the tank, then she might see her reflection, or something next to the tank shes trying to get at....just be sure to provide lots of plants and a cave or two in the new tank so she doesn't feel exposed :)
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #14 
Dingles

Well, everything has been looking up for ol Peeps, except those white dots which are looking worse, and now there's one on her face.
Unfortunately all I have to take pictures with is a web cam which won't pick them up.
I put salt in her tank, and she reacted positively to it, so that was a relief, but the spots aren't being hindered by it in any way.
If they start to spread more should I put some kind of medicine in with the salt?
If so, what kind..
Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #15 
DragonFish

Hmm....could you describe the white dots? Does it look like shes been sprinkled with salt? Or are they larger? Are they raised off her body? Fuzzy looking? It could be a number of things, if you could describe it a little more, that would be helpful :) I'll do what I can to help.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #16 
Dingles

They aren't fuzzy, but they do look raised a little; like tiny little bubbles. I guess you could say they look like grains of salt, size wise. I'm not sure if you're meaning salt had anything to do with it, cause I noticed them long before the salt, also I did dissolve it first in a cup of her water.
I noticed though that she has been turning on her side, and tries to rub up against her ornaments; as if to try and scratch an itch.
The side she tries to scratch is the one with the three dots on the fin.
Also they're all the same size.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds to me like ick.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bully, ripped fins, two fish