Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #1 
MunchMeister

Tetra Submersible Heater 50 watt?

So I bought one, and it's supposed to have a red light in heating, green for off. I plugged it in, but from the very beginning, it had no light at all, and seems not to be heating. Is it broken? Should I return it and get another? Or should I get a much more expensive heater? Because to me, it seems the only heaters that don't break, will auto-turn off, and are configurable, are the ones that are highly expensive ($30-40). I'm thinking Aqueon, Eheim Jager, or Hydor Theo (though I heard the last one is prone to breaking).

Last edited by MunchMeister; 09-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.
MunchMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #2 
bambijarvis

My tetra whisper 2/5-15 heater works fine in both my ten gallon and my 2.5, you water may just not be cold?

My 20long uses a fluval which I've also had no issue with(cost around 30 bucks though, I got mine when it was on a sale).

You can try posting a want ad for used heaters in the classifieds, see if anyone has some old ones that still work if you want some cheaper.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #3 
MunchMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambijarvis View Post
My tetra whisper 2/5-15 heater works fine in both my ten gallon and my 2.5, you water may just not be cold?

My 20long uses a fluval which I've also had no issue with(cost around 30 bucks though, I got mine when it was on a sale).
I've read reviews on it though and many seem to say it has serious issues immediately/later. My heater isn't even showing green if it's supposedly off, nor is it warm to the touch when plugged in.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #4 
bambijarvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchMeister View Post
I've read reviews on it though and many seem to say it has serious issues immediately/later. My heater isn't even showing green if it's supposedly off, nor is it warm to the touch when plugged in.
Mine doesn't show green either(not that I can see anyway), but the red turns on when it kicks in and I've had it for a while now.
You can try calling tetra to see if they can replace it. There's a two year warranty:
"Supplier Warranty: Tetra will repair or replace (manufacturer's option) your Heater for any defect deemed to be due to workmanship or materials for a period of two years from the date of original purchase. Damages or injuries resulting form neglegence or misuse are not covered under this warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. Incidental or consequential damages are specifically excluded unless disallowed by your state. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Please call 800-526-0650 for further warranty information and return address."
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #5 
MunchMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambijarvis View Post
Mine doesn't show green either(not that I can see anyway), but the red turns on when it kicks in and I've had it for a while now.
You can try calling tetra to see if they can replace it. There's a two year warranty:
"Supplier Warranty: Tetra will repair or replace (manufacturer's option) your Heater for any defect deemed to be due to workmanship or materials for a period of two years from the date of original purchase. Damages or injuries resulting form neglegence or misuse are not covered under this warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. Incidental or consequential damages are specifically excluded unless disallowed by your state. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Please call 800-526-0650 for further warranty information and return address."
My heater turned red for a little bit this morning, but it lost the red and never went green. I don't know if it malfunctioned, or if it stopped and just can't go green. I think I still might want to change to a different brand though. I've heard stories where its killed entire tanks by overheating to 110 degrees. And getting another heater of the same kind might end up breaking too...