Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 
Flare101

Female betta type identification thread

I'm really curious to know how people identify say, a HM female from a HMPK female (that's just an example). Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Flare101; 09-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Flare101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Usually it's told from the breeder or after a while I tend to notice there's a difference in the dorsal's and their shapes although that's not always true. A bigger difference I find is in body size, PK's that I've seen and owned at least were bigger and grew faster than the regular HM girls that I've had. Again, this could just be me and my girls but that's what I've observed is all
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
Flare101

Okay, so let's just say you were looking at a LFS that had quality betta fish and poor labeling, how would I tell between let's say, a VT and one of their higher quality fish, a HM for example.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

A VT only has two ray's so you have to know about ray's. Here's one of my explanation for ray's: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....39#post2613201

As I state there, VT's have only two ray's and usually are more rounded or sort of pointed. VT is the classic droopy tailed Betta's and the females tend to look similar to their male counterparts. Here's a classic VT girl,

Here's a better more exaggerated example. This is a long finned girl and you can really see the two ray's.

And more so here

And this is a traditional Plakat girl, notice how the ray's stick out from the webbing on her tail fin. That's one trait of a PK, however sometimes a VT can have something similar if there was a Crowntail in it's gene line. Also note how thick and streamline she looks compared to the two VT's above. (Note the red VT is also eggy, that's why she's so fat)

Next "step" up is Delta and Super Delta. Delta's, of course being a triangle in geometry is similar in Betta tails. A Delta cannot reach the 180 degrees that a Halfmoon can but anything underneath and has MORE than 2 ray's. So 4 ray's or more and underneath 180 degree's is a DeT. This is one of my girl's aquabid picture, in the middle area of the end of her tail you can see that she's got four ray's making her a Super DeT since she almost reaches 180, but not quite.

Now Halfmoon's HAVE to get up to 180 degree mark or over (Over halfmoon; OHM) and can have anything from two ray's and more but aboslutely must get to the 180 degree mark to be considered HM. Here's an Aquabid picture which isn't mine. I do have HM girls but none have good enough pictures to show for an example lol She's about a 8-10 ray'd girl, hard to tell since it's not a close up. Notice the nice D shape of her tail.

Another Aquabid picture that isn't mine but you can see how her tail is straight up and down and makes the D shape, she's a Halfmoon.

And then of course you have your Crowntails which have varying degree's of angles, so some of them with poor breeding will have a tail like a VT and can't even get to a 100 degree mark. And then other's can actually get up at the full 180 degree mark. This girl is a Super DeT because she almost makes 180 but not quite.

The same goes for Double Tails (DT)

I believe I've covered the tail types, feel free to ask more questions ^_^
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #5 
Flare101

This was extremely informational and I really appreciate it. I have a good understanding of what makes all the tail types what they are, I just had very little knowledge on how to identify it in females before. But this really helps. Really appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sure ^_^ np
Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 
whiskandbowl

This was really helpful!
I'm usually in charge of the bettas at my work (water changes, etc) and I like to label the cups with the tail type. (I'm always surprised at the number of people who had no idea there were different tail types)
The females are tricky because they are just sold to us as "Female Betta"

I've always assumed they were veiltails, but now I know how to check and see if they are plakats. I'm actually leaning more towards plakat now, seeing as most of them have that extended rays on their tail
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do note though, not all females with extended ray's are PK's. Sometimes you'll get a VT that has CT back in her line so she'll also have some extended ray's which does make it difficult to tell.

Generally if it comes from mostly 1 or 2 breeders or something, look at what they give you for males as well. If most of them are VT and they similar colors, chances are they are from the same spawn and are actually VT's as well
Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #9 
OrangeAugust

lilnaugrim, Is roundtail actually a tail type? I've heard of it before and one of my females has a tail that it very round (it looks like a VT but there's no point). Is roundtail an actual tail type, or a type of VT?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Round tail is a variation of VT as is Spade tail. Usually Round tails will come up when you breed VTxHM, so you'll get variations of VT's that can reach 180 status and then Round tail's and some other jumbled up tail types; it's usually not very definitive.