Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #1 
clairefish

pH maintenance/balance?

Hi there, all. I recently posted elsewhere about my betta Jippers and how he is beginning to go blind (most likely cause is old age), and discovered that I really need to be keeping my pH at a steady level, which it hasn't been.

I live in the country on well water, which I have been using in my aquariums for the duration of time that I've had them (about 9 months). The pH right out of the tap is 6, clearly very acidic. Over time it changes in my aquariums (I'm not familiar with how), and in my boy's tank right now it's 7.2. Obviously this is a very drastic change.

I was wondering, what methods would you guys recommend for keeping the pH stable, and where would you recommend that I try to keep it (7?)? Should I switch to a different kind of water? Thank you!
clairefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Honestly if you've just been pouring in water from the tap (conditioned) and then into his tank for all this time, it's totally fine to continue to do so. Betta's actually love acidic water so 6 is wonderful! I had one of my tanks at 5.5 once before! But they will thrive in anything from 5.5 up to 8.2-8.4 or so. So 7.2 is fine and if it stays around that then your fine.

My tap also comes out at 6.5 and my tanks are generally around either 6 or 7.6 (sorority tank) and never had issues with it, they adjust very well. But if you want to test something you can test water from the tap, then after conditioned and then let it sit for 24 hours and test again, then sit another 24 to make a full 48 and test again to see if that does anything to change the pH levels. Do you have any crushed coral in there to buffer the water?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 
clairefish

Phew, thank goodness! I tested it right after I did a water change today, and it said 6.2 (likely from mixing the new acidic tap water with the 7.2 older tank water). I was just worried that I needed to do something, but I've been using tap water for the months that I've had him. I know it's never below 6 or above 7.5 so... good. I'm not really sure how exactly it got/gets to 7.2, but it had been a week since I did a water change.

I should test it with that method, thank you for the instructions. No, there's no coral, just silk plants, gravel, some decorative black rocks in a glass jar on its side (he loves to swim in and out of that), and a java fern. Maybe it's the rocks? They're aquarium rocks from Wal-Mart.
clairefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nah, if they're aquarium most likely they aren't doing anything. I have the same rocks and never had issues with them.

If you do want to try something else, you can do smaller water changes like 15-20% at one time so it's not so much of a shock to him if it is fluctuating like that. Fluctuating like that is bad if it's more then like 5 points so from 6 and then going up to 6.5 isn't the best. They can handle it but if you can find a way to help that stop then that would be better. Anyway, doing one small water change like that one day and then a different day do another small change so it's not all at once you know? That might help him as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote