Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
LittleRose

Holes in tank ornament- how can I plug them?

Hey all! Today was a pretty awesome day, I got probably $45 worth of fish stuff for free! Some girl at my school was giving it away, it was in pretty nasty shape, looked bad and smelled even worse I spent like 3 hours today cleaning it all.

Before I got it I was under the impression that it was a 3gal, thats what the person told me. I could tell as soon as I got it it wasn't, so I measured when I got it home and low and behold its barely 2 gal, which was kinda disappointing I was hoping it was bigger than what Rosie's in now, but its the same so there's no point in moving her into it. There is, however, no point in letting a perfectly fine set-up go unused (at least thats what I tell myself ) soooo I think I'm gonna get another betta! A male this time

There is one little hiccup in my plan though and that is one of the ornaments that came with it has holes in it which I'm 99% sure a male betta could get stuck in! Here are some pictures... what could I do to plug the holes? I was thinking maybe I could fill the whole thing with gravel but I'm not really sure how well that would work. The two on the top are least concerning because I have these glow in the dark egg things that came with it that I could stuff in them but the hole on the side I can't get that to work for. Could I cut some kitchen sponge and stuff in it, would that be safe? I'd like to if at all possible just fashion something out of things I have on hand. I read about using tank sealant but I'd rather just go buy a new ornament than bother with that.

What I got! The gravel was really dirty and I didn't like the color anyways so I just threw it away, everything else I cleaned up though! I was really excited about the betta hammock, I've read about them but never bought one, which I guess is good I didn't spend my money cuz so far she hasn't shown any interest in it.

Set up my way with some extra gravel I had

The problem!!!!

The holes in the front are smaller, I *think* they should be safe, right? They're about the size of peas, pencil there for reference. I think my female could probably get her head stuck, but I believe males are bigger so I'm unsure if they should be a concern.

Rosie watching intently, she doesnt look very happy, haha, maybe she doesn't want to have to share her food with another fish

Any ideas for a cheap fix? Should I worry about the eye holes on the front as well?

Last edited by LittleRose; 09-21-2013 at 11:32 PM.
LittleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

Okay, first off, I love your girl. ;) LOL at her expression! ;)

Don't use kitchen sponges because they usually have some sort of antibacterial stuff manufactured into them, but regular sponges or car wash sponges will work great. I don't think the eye holes would be a problem, but the side ones are definitely a concern. :)

Still loving the picture of Rosie... ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #3 
Polkadot

Maybe you could cut off some little pieces of a plant (or buy one of those little grassy plants) & push them into the hole? And yes your little fishie is so cute!
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #4 
TakingthePlunge

aquarium silicone is awesome. Hot glue would also probably work, as 99% time it's labeled "non-toxic", and doesn't leach chemicals. It's just a low melt-temp plastic, after all.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #5 
10asartin

Yup, I'd just grab a tube of aquarium silicone and seal them up.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 
CoolishPrune3

You could always leave it out until he is big enough to the point where you know he wont get his head stuck :)
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #7 
TakingthePlunge

ooooh! I had an idea! Get colored glas marbles/stones and hot glue/ aquarium seal them in lace over the holes! It would look decorative AND fill the holes.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote