Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #11 
Jennifer Vazquez

This Saturday the fry will be 3 weeks old. I can see a real difference in size from when thy were first hatched. You can see the red insides and full bellies on all of them, there are 3 or 4 that are starting to get a dorsal fin, it's so tiny and clear you can barely see it.

I added enough water today to connect the filter. I was worried at first when I turned on the filter because there was so much movement in the water the fry were having trouble swimming. I tried a few things then I realized the filter has a valve on it where you can turn down the pressure. Now it's filtering out all the bad stuff and the fry are swimming happily. I think I am going to change the sponge on the filter to a thicker one just to help a little more with the water pressure. so far they are not getting stuck to the sponge so I think I have the right amount of pressure for them.

I have about 8 gallons of water in the tank now and they seem to be able to swim to the top for more air without problem. I will take some pics soon if I can get one of the developing dorsal fin.
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #12 
aussieJJDude

Awww, congrats!
Can't wait for the pics! *hint*
aussieJJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #13 
Jennifer Vazquez

Name:  fry3wks.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  48.5 KBPics of some of the fry, they are still rather small, but are developing dorsals and anal fins. 3 weeks old.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #14 
bambijarvis

Looking good. :)
Keep up the water changes. Are they accepting the frozen/powdered food readily yet? Have you tried decap bse?
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #15 
aussieJJDude

Awww, they super cute!
Love them! Is it just me, or one of them is already showing colour?
aussieJJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #16 
Jennifer Vazquez

A few have sucked in the dried flakes but spit them back out. However there are a few that I have seen eat at least one piece of BBS(I chop it in the food processor) They are still mainly eating MW. I do want to try decaps I'm going to go look for some at my local aquarium stores Monday. They tend to carry stuff that the franchise petstores don't. For me ordering online is a pain so I try to buy locally as much as possible.

There are 2 fry that are twice the size of the rest, these two's bodies are getting more opaque and less see through. However all are developing iridescence on their bodies. I see it mostly when the sunlight shines on the tank in the morning.

The two bigger fry's fins are more opaque as well and are iridescent without the sunlight. The 2 big ones have well developed anal and dorsal fins. I'm still waiting to see development of ventrals and lengthening of the caudal

Last edited by Jennifer Vazquez; 09-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #17 
Jennifer Vazquez

Thanks everyone for your comments. I wanted to share a trick I learned today...

I am still feeding Micro Worms to the fry as well as chopped frozen(thawed) brine shrimp. and they started eating the brine shrimp .

Step 1; add a little water and 1 or 2 frozen cubes to a blender or electric food chopper(I added them frozen)

Step 2; Add a little of the mixture to the tank directly under where the water falls back into the tank from the filter.

Step 3; wait about 10 minutes then add the micro worms for any of the fry that didn't eat the shrimp.

Keep the shrimp mix refridgerated and discard after 24 hours, or refreeze the mixture(thaw completely before use)

This works well because the water from the filter moves the shrimp pieces around the tank so they stay floating around for more time than if you added them and they sank to the bottom.

The chopped brine shrimp pieces are different sizes, so the bigger fish can eat as well as the smaller fry. The pieces are bigger than Micro worms, but still small enough to fit in the fry's mouth.

I fed the fry this mixture in the morning before I added MW, so that being hungry they might try the brine shrimp. I added the MW after 10 minutes there were still some pieces of shrimp floating around when I added the MW, I wanted to confuse the fry a bit so they might accidentaly try the shrimp.lol. It seemed to work well. I know there were some fry that did not eat the shrimp but I knew they would eat the MW.

I did this a second time tonight and had the same reaction. I think I am going to add 1 cube of bloodworms next week to the food chopper with the shrimp to give them more nutrients. I will let you all know how it goes.

NOTE: My fry are 3 weeks old, If you are going to breed make sure you feed live food first, or your fry will die, I am still feeding Micro Worms, this is just a experiment to see if the fry would eat the shrimp!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #18 
TruongLN

Those are going to be some pretty fish!
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #19 
Jennifer Vazquez

Thanks Troung!

Today I noticed all the fry are started to turn a opaque white on their bodies instead of the clear glass bodies they had before. All have caudals, dorsals, anals, and pectoral fins, but all the fins are still clear like glass.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #20 
TruongLN

That's so awesome to hear!!
I can't wait to see how they develop in a few months.
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote