Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #1 
kefinlin

Question Heal his fins from tail biting?

Hi Everyone!

So I've had my HM betta, Finnegan, for two weeks now (I'm still a betta newbie). About a week after getting him, I noticed his tail was missing some pieces, and thought it to be mild fin rot (I assumed it was because of his days at Petco), so I put him in a QT cup (32 oz) and floated it in the tank and started treating with AQ salt and 100% water changes, with Prime and Stress Coat mix. HOWEVER, at the end of 2 days of salt treatment, I saw that he was actually tail biting inside the QT cup (doh! )! He was probably too stressed from the cup... I quickly acclimated and put him back into his 5 gal tank, which I had just cleaned and filled up with 100% clean water. Its been a day since and he hasn't been biting his fins anymore. In fact, he is very active, eating regularly, and is even making a bubble nest as we speak! His anal fin is fine, it is mostly his caudal fin and a little of his dorsal fin that he has bitten off.

So my questions:
Will 50% water change daily be enough or do I need to do 100%?
Should I use some AQ salt? If so, how much?
I plan to use just stress coat as the water conditioner until his fins get better. I just don't want his fins to get infected!

Tank Info:
Tank: 5 gallon, filtered
Temperature: 80 (automatic heater)
Conditioner: Prime + Stress Coat
Food: Hikaru Betta Bio-Gold & New Life Spectrum
Fish mates: None

Thanks for the help!

Here's a pic of him tonight:
Attached Images

kefinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #2 
Unknown64

For now fill 15 % of the tank with salt water and for now get help from someone in petco, they do have cures for tail rots. I need a little help too. SOmehow there is this white bump on my bettas butt which has been there for more than a week. Is it fungus or a infection...what do I do?
Unknown64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Warm, clean water is the best thing for healing fins and tails. Change the water often to prevent infection. You can add aquarium salt, but follow the directions exactly and for only 14 days.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #4 
Twixies

Just warm, clean water is fine, you may add stress coat if you want, AQ salt is not neccessary, it's more of a hassle if you add the salt IMO, the fins will grow back by itself, just takes time.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin biting, fin healing, tail biting