Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #1 
kaycejonesgrl

Filter too powerful?

My tank came with one of the filters that pulls in in the bottom and back out the top kinda waterfall ish... It seems to be too strong for my guy.. It'll push him and pull him if he gets too close (he's only been in there 24hrs) and I've found him twice now just kinda sitting under the bottom of it or along the area it sucks, almost like he's stuck, pull his fins in a bit too. Scares the..poo.. out of me and I've turned it off. and he seems fine. Is this something he'll grow accustomed to or should I consider another filter or none at all?. My Tank is the 2gal Hex Aquarium Petco brand. Need little aquarium and has plenty of room for him but the filter is concerning me. If I should go with another..what is an affordable option for a tank of this size?
kaycejonesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
sugarunicorn

I use the TOM mini internal filter with the spray bar. Works great and doesnt bug my betta, and you can adjust the flow quite a bit. I currently have the spraybar pointed up and towards the edge of the tank - still filters well, but doesnt create so much surface disturbance. The intake is really gentle as well.

Depending on what your filter is like, you could make a homemade baffle.
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #3 
fidget

This is what I did with my filter-

Use aquarium sponge or filter foam.
People really like sponge filters too.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Try fidget's idea first. If the flow still bothers him, get a sponge filter. Here's the "Sponge Filter Thread."

SPONGE FILTERS: Why and How
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
Empathica

Your filter sounds just like mine. My filter has a low flow setting, but it still makes a resonable amount of current, so I stuck some sponge in the top and it works great.

My fish even loves to check it out. Haha :D
Make sure you get sponge that is intended for aquariums so that you aren't using something that's full of weird chemicals.
Empathica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #6 
kaycejonesgrl

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I ended up getting the TOM filter. It came today and so far so good! I'll keep my other one though and use some of these ideas in the future!
kaycejonesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote