Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #1 
MunchMeister

Dwarf hairgrass?

I think I saw the name as Watergrass in Petsmart, but it looks like a Dwarf/Japanese hairgrass, which isn't in the Plant Profiles thread I think?

Anyways, it keeps floating, how do I get it to stop? I tried to get a few gravel pebbles on it along with getting a little bit of the roots under the gravel. If I remove the few pebbles on top of it, it floats again. Will it just take root eventually?
MunchMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 
InfiniteGlory

I planted some DHG a few weeks ago in black betta sand and it kept floating. Mainly due to the MT snails I have. So I kept putting it back in the sand and so far it is still there.

just keep planting it and it should eventually take root.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 
MunchMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteGlory View Post
I planted some DHG a few weeks ago in black betta sand and it kept floating. Mainly due to the MT snails I have. So I kept putting it back in the sand and so far it is still there.

just keep planting it and it should eventually take root.
Ok, but one last question about DHG. I know it'd be necessary to have high lights, fertilizer, co2, and a good substrate, but how can I get it to grow a carpet faster?

Do I pull parts of it off and plant them in different sections? (it came from Petsmart as a ~5x1 inch section)

And is a fine gravel ok as such substrate?

edit: Unrelated question, but I'd rather not start another thread for each of my questions... My Whisper Micro Filter's impeller/motor which is loosely attached to the underside of the main filter, keeps falling off. I don't know what to do to keep it from falling off, because there's no locking mechanism or anything. It's part of the LED Aquarium Kit 5 (AQUA Culture/TetraCare). Anyone know of any way to keep it attached? Rubber band just slips off after a while and ricochets.

Last edited by MunchMeister; 09-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
MunchMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

I got the same package from petsmart too. I broke my group down to about 8 clumps and planted them around my new root structure decoration I got from petsmart. Short of that it's just what you said....high light, ferts, co2, etc. The only thing you can do is break it apart, plant it and let it do its thing.

your gravel should be fine since I am using black betta sand. the only ferts I use is flourish comprehensive at each water change. All my plants seem to be doing just fine; swords, moneywort and wysteria.

as to your unrelated question have you tried applying a drop or two of hot glue where the parts meet? It's removable if needed.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote