Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 
kuklachica

Those of you with multiple tanks...

I'm curious as to how much work they require all together? I am considering having a total of 2 tanks (1 - 20 gallon and 1- 10 gallon, if the hubby lets me :) But I am trying to figure out how much work it would be total. When I travel it is usually for 3-4 days at a time with maybe a week at the longest. I would plan on having only bettas and no other fish or tank buddies (apparently ghost shrimp are illegal here in maine! not sure about ADFs).

how much time do you spend weekly on maintenance?

how often do you change water and how much?

how often do you need to use a gravel vacuum?

what is the smallest tank that you have and how often do you do water changes (what is the smallest that you don't have to do 100% water changes on)?

what kind of preparation do you need to do each week (letting water sit, re-hydrating food, etc.)?

Thank you guys!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I currently have 8 tanks to care for, and I'm constantly preforming water changes in something

I then have a 5, two 10s, a 20 long, and a 50 gallon which are all cycled and get weekly changes, with the exception of one 10 which gets ever day-every other day PWCs due to the fact that its my spawning tank ;) My changes are usually 20-30%.

I break up my water changes though, do a tank or two one day and another tank or two the next. I ALWAYS use a gravel vacuum, its far less stressful on the fish to do changes with one whether your actually vacing the gravel or not....though I always vac during my weekly changes. I'm also looking into one of those vacs that I attach to the sink for my larger tanks, no more hauling buckets!

My 2 gallon and two 2.5 gallon critter keepers are my smallest tanks and they get 100% changes usually every other to to every couple days, depending on how busy I am.

I don't prepare my water other then conditioning it because I have well water(I know whats in it, so I don't have to let it sit out;)). I don't bother with freeze-dried for many reasons, so I don't re-hydrate anything but I do have to crush pellets for my smaller girl, Winry, and separate her to make sure she gets enough to eat.

My Fry, however, need live Baby Brine shrimp, so I have to set up hatcheries, alternate them out, and then catch and rinse the BBS. Thats probably what takes the longest and is the most hassle, but it doesn't bother me much I love all aspects of fish keeping ;)

Haha, but your not going to have to mess with all of that unless you start REALLY accumulating tanks....though it kinda sneaks up on ya . If you just get one 20 and one 10, then cycle them, you probably will only need and hour or two one day a week to do PWCs ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #3 
doggyhog

how much time do you spend weekly on maintenance?
Hmm..... on Tuesday I do ALL my tanks. Yes, all six of them! All but two are cycled, so that makes it incredibly easier! So, I spent about 3-4 hours cleaning a week.
how often do you change water and how much?
My 10gs get 20 percent changes once a week, and my 5g usually gets 40 percent. My two gallons get twice a week 100% changes.

how often do you need to use a gravel vacuum?
I use mine every week, as Dragonfish said, it's sooo much easier and less stressful for the fish.

what is the smallest tank that you have and how often do you do water changes (what is the smallest that you don't have to do 100% water changes on)?
2 gallon. I do twice a week 100% changes. (Gotta do some today! :) I use to do 100% percent changes on my 5g, but that took me sooo long!!!! NEVER doing that again!

what kind of preparation do you need to do each week (letting water sit, re-hydrating food, etc.)? Little to none. I mostly feed pellets, with the occasional FD bloodworms. As for letting water sit, I just add the water conditioner and then let it sit for a minute or so, or mix it with the handle of my net.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

i have ALOT of tanks (25) and change approximately 75-90 gallons of water every week. in total i spend 4-5 hours maintaining ALL of these. the more you do, the more you learn how to be efficient with it too.
my 4-5 hours a week in total is nothing compared in the amount of time i enjoy them all.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #5 
kuklachica

Thank you for the information guys. That helps a lot. So two tanks wouldn't be a HUGE time consumer, it seems. I used the gravel vac for the first time today and that was AWESOME! Do you always vacuum the gravel during each change or do you just use it to empty the water?

what is the smallest tank that you don't have to do 100% changes on?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #6 
dr2b

I have 2 5 gallon tanks (cycled) and it takes no extra time for me. I do one tank's water change on Friday & the other tank on Sunday.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #7 
doggyhog

I use the gravel vacuum every week. Just because seeing fish poop bugs me. :P
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #8 
kuklachica

dr2b - do you do 50% h20 changes on those days or 100%? and how do you know if a tank is cycled? i have my 4 guys in a new 20 gallon ... how do i know what it is cycled?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #9 
dr2b

I do 20-25% weekly on each. I have the tank cycled. I knew it cycled when I had my algae bloom, my nitrites and ammonia were 0 and my nitrates were around 10 ppm. I had to change 10% daily when mini-cycling.

Oh and you should be changing around 5% daily if it is a new 20 gallon not cycled yet. How long has it been set up? What is it testing at?
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #10 
AlexXx

Just change 20-30% of your cycled tanks water a week, shouldnt take more than an hour with just the 2 tanks you mentioned. A gravel vaccume is a MUSt and makes life SO much easier.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote