Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #1 
IanHulett

Is it possible for me to expand my betta fish tank?

I have a male betta fish in a 10 gallon aquarium. I have two 10 gallon tanks (the other one housing 3 hermit crabs). I'm getting a 29 gallon aquarium for my hermit crabs and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to disassemble the two 10 gals and combine them to each other to make a 20 gallon. Is there a way to do this or am I just better off buying a 20 gallon tank?

Many thanks.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

Well, I suppose it depends on how crafty you are, and what other types of tanks you have. I would not recommend trying to put two glas tanks together-- you are begging for breakage and leakage that way. Depending on what tanks you have, it could be possible... but I think unnecessary. 10 gallons is almost TOO MUCH room for a betta! Some of them panic if they have too much room. I would personally take advantage of having an extra 10 gallon to hold in reserve for a hopital/ quarantine tank, or stock it with some other fish, maybe even a small female betta sorority.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
soundwave

+1 to TakingThePlunge. Trying to do something like that is asking for problems and headaches lol
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Take it from a mechanical engineer who has seriously looked into doing just that..DO NOT try this at home. For one thing, the glass in most (affordable) >5g tanks is barely thick enough for safety.

Taking a tank apart is harder than building it up. In fact, you can build your own tank with a lot less difficulty than modifying one.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
Chachi

I would keep your betta in his current tank and set up the other 10 gallon for a new friend! :)
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #6 
Blue Fish

Okay, *all* of my guys live in 20 longs divided one way, so everyone lives in 10g's. I've not yet had a betta who didn't enjoy having all that space. :)
Every now and again someone will have a betta with a health problem (like SBD) or who is just very timid, and they do need a smaller container. But, once mine got used to the space, they get SO MAD when I put them into anything smaller. ;) Seriously, I'm getting fishy glares and their swimming up and down the glass, just about bonking their noses into it...they're seriously angry about their downgrade. ;) I also outfit the tanks very thoroughly with silk or live plants though, so there are many places to hide and feel secure, so that may have a lot to do with it. They are seriously 10g jungles. ;)

Now, that's just my experience, others will rec something smaller. I don't disagree in general, but I wouldn't say that 10g's is too much for one betta as a general standard. :) As long as the tank is kept clean, they can really happily live in 2.5g's and on up. :)

About the tank combination...oh my gosh...I've read up on this, and I +1 the others, it's dangerous, it's massively time-consuming, and it's JUST not worth it. It'd be far cheaper to go on Craigslist or wait for one of the $1 per gallon sales and pick up a 20 long. :) (Petco, Petsmart, and Pet Supplies Plus all rotate out these sales.)

I really looked into making my own tanks for awhile...long and narrow and shallow...but it was going to be so expensive, and I was going to need special tools and clamps and glass and 90deg angles...it just wasn't worth it. Not, not worth it. ;)

I agree with Chachi, just use the other 10g for another betta. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 
peachii

Petco is having the 1.00 a gallon sale until the 27th this month, so you have a few days to pick up a 20g Long if you wanted one for just 20.00. Much easier and faster to do that, not to mention safer.

Most of my bettas are in 10 gallon tanks (or larger) also. I have a few who hated the big tank so are in 1 gallon to 5 gallon tanks but 10 gallons is absolutely not to much room for a betta.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote