Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #1 
snowflake311

next breeding project

I want to work with big ears. That was my first intention with breeding. But then I got a great HMPK Pair and had to breed them and put my Big ear project on hold.

I have this female show is ready to breed.

I was thinking of getting this male from the same breeder. I think he has great form and his color I think would go nice with her. He looks nice and big too.

Then I was thinking on introducing the big ear gene into my marble HMPK. I was thinking of breeding a fish like this into my marble blue line. His form is not that great and his pectorals are TOO BIG. But I love this color. I know mixing this bi color with marbles will be a crap shoot. It would take a few generation to get what I want. It would be a project for sure.

I could trying breeding that blue shinny male to my HMPK female Trouble.
She is not a SOLID full mask royal blue. She is nice and long shot fins and great topline. I need to get an up to date photo of her.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #2 
tilli94

Can I just say I love that last boy!!!
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #3 
SuperLaz

I relate! I love the marbles, but Ive been coming around to the Big ears. Trouble is finding quality fish to begin with. Of late, ive been seeing more available with decent finnage. I have 3 batches growing out from different big ear dads. We shall see what the F2's will get me.
SuperLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #4 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLaz View Post
I relate! I love the marbles, but Ive been coming around to the Big ears. Trouble is finding quality fish to begin with. Of late, ive been seeing more available with decent finnage. I have 3 batches growing out from different big ear dads. We shall see what the F2's will get me.
What color are your big ears? Any photos of the parents? I would rather buy my fish from other hobby breeders.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #5 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli94 View Post
Can I just say I love that last boy!!!
I love this guy and I don't hahaha. I love LOVE this color but his form needs lots of work. I like how he has some pointed edges to the fins. I feel like breeding him to a hmpk would give me better form in the next generations.

I think the purple male has amazing form. his fins are GREAT and he has a nice pretty straight topline.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #6 
SuperLaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
What color are your big ears? Any photos of the parents? I would rather buy my fish from other hobby breeders.
Actually its 4 batches. I forgot one of the batches growing out in a bin is from a Big ear dad. All of them though are to non big ear HM females, so no babies will show big ears, but will carry the genetics.

I only have a pic from one male that I kept, my wife has him in a desk tank at work. None of them have great finnage, bu the girls did so hoping for some nice foundation stock in the babies. The other males I basically bred and then gave away. This is a pic from a couple months back, being marble he now has more blue coverage and the blue is now royal blue, I bred him to a solid royal blue HM female-

His babies actually -

The other 3 batches are

-Steel Blue Bttfly HM big ear similar to the one you have pictured, but with a touch of red wash bred to a metallic solid HM turqoise female. This one has the best finnage of all the males coincidentally.

-2 batches from different pairs-Salamander Male big ear x red HM female.
Which are these babies -

I currently have a Plat Big ear halfmoon with nice finnage that I think Ill breed to one of the new HM girls.
SuperLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #7 
tilli94

I'm mostly in love with the color of your last boy. This is the male I just got this morning. I can't believe how tiny he is!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  46.0 KB
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

I hate getting them and they are tiny, lol. I'm all ready to breed after QT and then I have to wait a month for them to grow up a bit.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #9 
tilli94

:) I'll probably start breed ing in a month or two, I'd really like it to be warmer when they're all grown and potentially need to be shipped.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #10 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli94 View Post
I'm mostly in love with the color of your last boy. This is the male I just got this morning. I can't believe how tiny he is!
Attachment 214866
I was going to buy a fish from the breeder but it died in Thailand before I could get it.

The blue big ear is from the same breeder as your silver. That stinks his fish was so little.