Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #1 
Swanky Knickers

Exclamation My Beloved Betta Fish is Ill...

My male betta of two years, Mal, is having trouble swimming and he's showing signs of lethargy; he has no interest in eating, and is instead laying at the bottom of his tank, except for when he struggle to come up for air. He is also showing signs of fungal or bacterial growth that is isolated to his ventral fin (which I originally believed to be columnaris), and it looks as if he may be developing popeye, but I am not sure. He is normally in a 5 gallon tank with a water temperature of 76 degrees, but I recently moved him out to a tank with a much lower water level to accommodate his difficultly swimming. I treat him regularly with small doses of melaleuca/melafix in order to keep him as healthy as possible. Yesterday I begin treating him with Maracyn-two, assuming that he has a bacterial infection of some sort, with the hopes of curing him, but so far, there have been no signs of change.
I absolutely hate seeing my fish in this sort of shape, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Swanky Knickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #2 
kelly528

You will want Maracyn (not 2) for external bacterial infections.

I would cut the unnecessary Melafix doses, as melaluca has been proven to cause damage to bettas' labyrinth organs, which for obvious reasons gives them trouble breathing.

Is the tank cycled? How often do you change the water and when you do so, how much do you take out?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear that. I agree on stopping the Melafix. You can add some aquarium salt instead when you do water changes (unless there are other fish that would be sensitive to salt in the tank).

Are you able to keep him warm in the temporary tank?

Keep us posted. Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote