Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 
TokyoBetta

Conflicting info on water change, why do some sources tell me 50% biweekly?

The material I received with the tank, along with a few other sources on the net, suggested that I don't do a full water changes because it's a shock to the fish. Rather, I should do water changes at a rate of 30-50% every week or two weeks.

Of course, on here, people said that changing all the water 100%, every week, is better.

I'm not exactly sure what's best. To be bluntly honest if I've heard Betta are quite sturdy and if they can thrive in water changed at 50% intervals it'd be that much easier for me, however I do want to do what's right.

I will most likely go the 100% route because actually its more peace of mind and it's a chance to get the old food pellets out of the gravel. I'm a neat-freak you see.

But why do some sources suggest 50%?
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Because some sources are wrong, lol.

But seriously speaking, if you have a smaller uncycled tank, it`s better to do 100% changes to remove that ammonia. You don`t have a filter to convert the ammonia, so it`s just going to build up and make your fish sick. I`m sure a betta can survive on bi-weekly water changes, but he probably wouldn`t be as healthy or happy as one with weekly changes...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 
Jynx

also there are variables- type and size of tank- type of food you use- if you have real plants or an algae problem etc
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

what size is your tank? IMO any uncycled tank under 5 gals needs at least 1 100% change a week so you can properly clean the gravel. On my 1 gals I would do 50% one day.. skip a day.. 100% one day.. skip a day.. back to 50%
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #5 
TokyoBetta

My tank has a little air pump but I doubt that's doing much if anything.
It's uncycled I would say.
It's just under 5L, around 4.7L.

Dramaqueen advised me on the 100% changes and I still plan on doing that but I was surprised at the number of sources I found suggesting a complete change was ill-advised.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

On a tank that size you should do a water change every other day. You don't have to do 100% each time but should at least do 100% one to two times a week.

100% changes are your safest bet but taking out a little old water and putting fresh water in every day to every other day on top of doing 100% changes couldn't hurt.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Conversly you could say that if they're sturdy, then water changes shouldn't be stressful to them. The only reason I could think that a water change is stressful is if the ph between new and old water is grossly different, or the temperature is. If not, I don't see it being stressful. It's easier then heck to catch your betta with a container once you've trained them that hand = food. I lead mine into a cup with my finger.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #8 
HopeInHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
On a tank that size you should do a water change every other day. You don't have to do 100% each time but should at least do 100% one to two times a week.

100% changes are your safest bet but taking out a little old water and putting fresh water in every day to every other day on top of doing 100% changes couldn't hurt.
I was reading TokyoBetta's other thread and I believe in this one he meant 4.7 gallons, not 4.7 liters
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #9 
TokyoBetta

Oops yes you're right I got my gallons and liters mixed up
It's quite a lot bigger than 5L.
more like 18L, just under 5 gallons.

I must be thinking too hard.. I just feel like going back into a cup or chasing him into it would be mental stress.
I think in my heart of hearts I'm hoping for a way to just kind of keep the water 'acceptable' without pulling him out, but of course to clean the rocks that's impossible so, I guess I'll just do the big 100% change once a week.

I guess the 50% thing must be for tanks with filters where the gunk is being sucked in and the water cleaned constantly?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you cycle your tank, you wouldn't have to do 100% changes and you can leave the fish in there.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote