Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #11 
JamieTron

You're a great fish owner you did everything in your power to prevent illness by keeping their environment top notch. Remember it's not always environment that brings about the illness, sometimes it just happens. Hopefully you can heal him all up. If he is having trouble reaching the water surface you can lower the water level for him that helped my betta with dropsy. But then again it is harder to dose meds that way hrm
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #12 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

It is easy to see you are someone who thinks of their fish as more than just, well, fish. it hurts, but you are proving that you are a dedicated, caring betta enthusiast. That is all you can do.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #13 
Eolith

Fortunately he's not having trouble getting to the surface. He's floating at the top on his side. And he's still alive. I'll be changing out his water shortly. I can't even tell what he has any more. It's almost as though he has a little bit of everything. Ich, fin rot, fungus?

Do you think it might help at all if I used store-bought spring water as his "base" and added the meds to that rather than tap water? I'm willing to do anything if it will help him! >_<

Last edited by Eolith; 01-19-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #14 
JamieTron

Store bought water is really soft, may be too soft for him, but I had tap water that was bad in my hometown so I always used bottled water because the tap water was always getting contaminated with stuff. They survived okay I had them for like 3 years. I think if you treat him in soft water it should not hurt really. You could try it, but the sudden change in water hardness might not be so good for him, not sure. Mine were always in soft water I never suddenly switch from tap to bottled so not sure of water effect that would cause.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you use bottled water, you should acclimate him very slowly. Start out by using 25% spring water and 75% tap water. Then the next week, 50% spring water and 50% tap water then the next week, 75 % spring water and 25% tap water, then the next week 100% spring water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #16 
MollyJean

You are keeping the heat up, right? maybe 85 or so. It'll fight the ich and probably make him more comfortable.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #17 
Eolith

I am very sorry to say that Mo has died. He was a great first betta, and will be very much missed. I just hope that I was able to do right by him.

I'm sort of relieved that it's over now though. It seemed like he was suffering so much, I'm glad that he can rest in peace now.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Mo! RIP Mo.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #19 
Jupiter

RIP Mo! You did all you could for him. :(
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #20 
JamieTron