Betta Fish Forum banner

help betta acting strangE!!!!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rc423 
#1 ·
okay i have a veiltail betta (i think) and its male,,,,i just came back from a 3 day trip...before i left bowser(the fish) was acting fine even made a big giant bubble nest...since i came back he has been acting strange..every time i come in my room he is in a corner of the tank and prop himself up with half his body out of the water...i have a 1.5 gallon tank at a constant 78degrees and small filter that makes almost no current...every time i tap on the glass he is unresponsive then he starts swimming very very fast in random directions....please help ive only had him for 2 weeks.!!!

#3 ·
As I am sure you know, Bettas can become very attached to their owners.

You mentioned you have only had him a couple of weeks, and went away for 3 days. I think he is just traumatized after just getting used to you. Then you hauled boogie, and now you are back. I think he just does not know what to think.

Just a guess.

#4 ·
thanx guys i clean his tank once a week,,,,i feed him betta pellets, blood worms occasionally, and tropical flakes, and his stomach appears normal not as if he is constipated...it seems he likes to be covered by objects because he always trys to squeeze himself behind the heater or the air tube

#5 ·
I think it may be him getting used to his home.

#10 ·
Yeah I realized that after I read it. I read it wrong. I thought I could change it fast enough that no one would notice :)

#8 ·
ive got a plant that stretches 3/4 of the way up the tank...but as of now he has been laying in a corner behind the filter intake tube for a few hours now....like i said before i think he was comfortable...at least before i left because he did make a big nest idk what to do

#11 ·
Do you see anything wrong with him physcially? Any bumps, torn fins, things you hadn't seen before?

I'd stop feeding him the tropical flakes, btw. They're not really meant for bettas.

When did you last change his water? And I'm assuming you treat the water when you change it, right?

#12 ·
okay thanks for the help but after looking long and hard last night i discovered that he has ick...i noticed some salt grain looking things on his rear fin and noticed he was resting underneath the filter intake and rubbing on everything and swimming like mad man.... i immediately went to wal-mart and got some aquarium salt and wardleys ick away with main ingredient malachite green...i also raised the water temp to 80-84 degrees....ANY THING ELSE I SHOULD BE DOING? i would love as much advice as possible never dealt with ick before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.