Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #1 
MichelleA

Film on the top of the water

So one of my tanks has this iridescence on top of the water. Some sort of film. While my fish was in another tank it cleared up but hes been back in this tank for three days and its back.

Its a 10 gallon filtered npt with gravel. The filter is the Tetra Whisper 10i and plants are Swords, some sort of Hygrophilia, a little Rotala, Green Hygro, a ton of Wisteria and two moss balls.

My other tanks have never had a film on them. I have a five gallon without a filter and another 10 gallon with a sponge filter. Both Planted. Could it be the gravel? A plant? The filter? I do weekly water changes sometimes more and rinse out my filter once a week. I recently switched to Prime water conditioner from Aqueon. I put a little Stress Coat Plus in with water changes because hes coming back from a pretty bad case of fin rot. My params are back to 0 nitrites 0 nitrates and I keep ammonia under .25ppm. Ph 8- 8.5. gh and kh both 300ppm. They are the same in the other tanks without the film. Anyone else have this problem?
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #2 
babystarz

How old is your NPT? Most films of this nature are completely harmless protein films. Stronger filtration may help break it up, but if your fish isn't a fan of that there's no need to stress him out. Pond snails also love to eat the film. If you don't want pond snails, the film should eventually be absorbed with normal water changes. The stress coat may have changed the viscosity of the water to help the film propagate too. The reason I asked how old your NPT is, is because I've generally seen this with younger tank setups. But again, it's harmless, you don't really need to do anything but if it's bothering you, you can use a paper towel to soak it up (but it will probably re-appear) or use one of the other methods I mentioned. Leaving it be is also an option.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #3 
MichelleA

Oh interesting I actually have like 50 pond snails between all three of my tanks. I have a few ramshorns too. Ive been plucking them out and putting them in a kritter keeper until I can decide what to do with them. A few of these have actually snuck there way in this 10 gallon on some plants from the other tanks. I only set it up about 3 months ago. How many should I put in a 10 gallon. If they are going to be beneficial then I have no problem adding more. The are only like 2 or three in there now that I see regularly. They are HUGE. Do mystery snails or other snails work the same way? I have 4 mystery snails also in another tank.
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #4 
babystarz

As far as I know it's only pond snails who like to snack on protein film, they can actually cling to it so it looks like they're floating upside down just under the surface of the water. I would not add extras to your 10 gallon, even with only 3 you'll soon end up with more. This is really the only thing pond snails are useful for XD Once you no longer have the protein film I'd recommend eliminating the pond snails from the tank (they have a habit of eating healthy plants instead of detritus) and only keep the ramshorns and mysteries. Malaysian Trumpet snails are very useful too, for preventing gas pockets from forming in your substrate.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote