Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 
Taina

Small but nice betta tank

My betta tank is a 1.75 gallon "pet keeper" (like a kritter keeper). I know that is far below the minimum most people think is necessary for bettas. However, it is filtered (mechanical, chemical, and biological), cycled (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrites are all 0, I've been checking them every other night), and heated. It also has 5 small live anubias, 1 small live java fern, 1 small silk plant, and a ceramic hollow log for a hide out. My fishie is a female betta about 1.75 inches long and I think she is still growing. Is this a suitable home for her or should I bite the bullet and spend the $80 for a 5 gallon tank and a bigger heater and filter to go with it?
Taina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 
cowboy

I think she will be fine for now. If you wanted to upgrade it can be pricey so this gives you some breathing room
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #3 
redthebetta

Look on the local classifieds. I have heard stories of 80 gal tanks with heaters and filters for $30.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #4 
loveDelphine21

I got a 16 gallon with filter and 2 300w heaters for $25 on ebay.
loveDelphine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #5 
Fishybitty

You don't have to spend that much Petsmart and Walmart has some very nice cheap aquariums.

Example.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...-Pets/14660258

I tried this tank, was very nice but the it was dropped when delivered and the hood hinge was broke so I returned it.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #6 
Matilda

You don't need to spend that much. Walmart has some nice deals on 5 gallon tanks. I also like to get big Kritter Keepers at kensfish.com. Really good prices on equipment.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Okay, I totally second what the others have said, and I agree that I prefer no smaller than a 5, but a small tank kept clean is a perfectly good place for a betta. :)

My only quibble, you're not cycled. If you were cycled, you would have a nitrate reading. (this is the end of the cycle) Zero's across the board only happen if the tank is very heavily planted and then it's a silent cycle. Otherwise, you just have clean water, and the ammonia will start to go up immediately upon having a fish introduced.

More and more people are saying now that you *can* cycle a tank that small, but I've never done it...so I really can't say anything there. :) Halyx has done some though, so they might be able to help. :)
Otherwise, if you don't want to cycle, you can just keep up with your weekly partial and 100% water changes and your guy should be happy and healthy. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote