Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #1 
kaycejonesgrl

Ammonia high the next day after?

Pretty much summed in the title. I got my test kit yesterday, checked all my levels and of course my ammonia was at 0.5-1 and not registering on the Nitrites or Nitrates. I did a 50% change and retested and ammonia was under 0.25. Tonight I checked again and it's already up to .5 again. Am I going to need to do changes everyday or am I doing something wrong?
kaycejonesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
CoolishPrune3

I'm still learning about the chemical side of aquatics. I don't know all the factors that can influence ammonia levels. However, you should test your tap water, straigh out of the faucet and see what the ammonia levels are.
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
kaycejonesgrl

Yeah I already did that, it was negative. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #4 
kaycejonesgrl

I did a 25% change and it was still at 0.5 so I did another change, 50% this time, tried to clean more waste out of the substrate..maybe it just was too long gone while I waited? Now my Ammonia is reading 0.25. Should I start over entirely? I don't really want to stress my poor fishy to be named out anymore tonight and this is the second day in a row he's been put through this but I don't want to kill him of course!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #5 
rickey
Banned

Let's start with the basics.
What size is the aquarium and what livestock do you have?
When was the last time it was cleaned?
Live or artificial plants?

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 
kaycejonesgrl

It's a 2gallon with a single betta it has an artificial plant and a couple decorative items. It was cleaned yesterday (a 25% change and a 50% change after it was still high), the day before with a 50% change and three days prior with a 50% change.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #7 
kaycejonesgrl

Still having trouble. Did testing today and it was at .5-1 again. Did a 75% change and it was still at .25, did a 25% change again and it's now between 0-.25 so I called it good as the lil guy is getting stressed with all the roughing up. I've tested my plain tap water as well as my water with the treatment in it and both register 0. I'm beginning to think I might need to remove him and completely restart? Feels like daily changes like this are going to be so stressful for him it'll be worse than just handling it like I did my old bettas which was to just clean it when it seemed dirty at they lived 5 years each. Help?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Assuming you're siphoning and not removing him, the stress is minimal. You're more stressed than he is. LoL

There may be waste in your substrate; don't let food or waste accumulate. You may be overfeeding. Cut back on his food; it won't hurt him.

Prime is your friend. You can safely let your ammonia rise to 0.25ppm as long as you're dosing Prime (2-drops/gal) every other day with a water change. Don't be afraid of large changes >50%.

What kind of filter are you using? What is your pH?

Fish-in cycling a 2g is a little finicky. You're being alert and attentive; keep at it. And keep the ammonia down.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-27-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #9 
kaycejonesgrl

Yeah I have a siphon system thing and try to avoid him when I stick it in there but the end is pretty large. He doesn't seem too unhappy, think he seems a little overly aggressive afterwards, not sure if he's feeling good or stressed but he's not sick and seems totally healthy. I've cut back his feeding and will try and really filter out the substrate this time.

I definitely need to get some Prime but haven't yet. I'll get that asap.

I have a TOM filter.. shoot.. it's the one that pulls it in and then sends it out the swing bar. My pH is 7.0.

I'll get that Prime, might make me a little less stressed about it and keep on keepin on it! It's a fair amount of work!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Just to reassure you: your relatively low pH keeps much of the ammonia locked up as harmless ammonium. Prime soonest. It turns free ammonia into ammonium. Your pH keeps it there.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote