Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #31 
BatCakes

Ah man, I just bought Mondo grass today! And I love how it looks. Bummer. Is there any chance of it surviving, or something I can do to help it?
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #32 
MakoBetta10

I got some aqua fern in my tank. I took out and potted it and kept it moist and within the hour it withered up. I planted back in my aquarium and its happy as can be.
MakoBetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #33 
rickey
Banned

You have to put some of the blame on the vendors and not the shops for packaging and selling these terrestrial and semi aquatic plants as true aquatics. This drives me crazy and I see this in the large chain stores all the time.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #34 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's really a shame, and yet somehow silly, that you have to know more about what you want to buy than the people selling it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #35 
RowdyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCakes View Post
Ah man, I just bought Mondo grass today! And I love how it looks. Bummer. Is there any chance of it surviving, or something I can do to help it?
I'm afraid it'll only last submerged for about 2 months tops. But if you'd still like to keep it, you can plant it in a pot or outside. Or maybe the store will take it back??
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #36 
sliderdkp

I had good luck ordering plants from Dr. Foster's (in the aquarium section), and Liveaquaria. Will check out aquabid also. Thanks for all the info. I think I saw baby tears on one of these sites I ordered from, but I looked at many sites.
sliderdkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #37 
Blue Fish

Ooh, now that you've mentioned it, I saw the ones at Foster and Smith, were you happy with them? How big were they? Were they healthy?

I've found some things that they carry that I'm interested in, but I was hoping to find some reviews first. I just hadn't gotten around to searching yet when I saw this. :)

Thanks so much!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #38 
sliderdkp

I was very happy with my plants from Dr. Foster's site. Large bunches, clean and shipped well! It said to quarantine them first, so I did. My hornwort shed all its shed in the quarantine platter, and did fine when adding to the tank. No snails. Made sure of it in the quarantine. I just ordered some plants from Peabody'sParadise this AM. Incredible better shipping cost ($7.?? vrs $15.$$). Will let you how they turn out.
sliderdkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #39 
OrangeAugust

I grew a spider plant in the filter one time. It grew really long and a much lighter color than the ones planted in soil. Of course only the roots were submerged. It eventually died, though, because spider plants can only survive a certain amount of time in just water (also the roots grew into the filter cartridge so the carbon might have done something weird to it). It can live a pretty long time with the roots submerge, but they will die if not planted in soil eventually.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-01-2013 at 12:55 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #40 
BatCakes

I went to two pet stores again yesterday, and actually looked up EACH plant I was thinking of buying, labeled as aquatic in the fish area. All of them were non-aquatic. Agh.

I think it would be really cool if this thread listed a non-aquatic plant, and then a similar aquatic equivalent. That way instead of just knowing what NOT to buy, you know something that may look similar that you CAN buy. C:
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote