Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #11 
Basement Bettas

No. Don't have time for mock judging. Fish are judged and they win points toward year end awards. Shows are exhausting work for those that put them on. And there is the expense of ribbons and the time it take to judge. Pet shop bettas are going to fall pretty short of the standard.. and we are not into awarding subjective *pretty fish* awards. Just not how it is done. You do not see dog, cat or horse shows for *pet* types. Westminster is not going to have a mock judging for people to see how it is done. The expectation is if you are going to enter, you know the rules and how it is done. Shows are about evaluating the best of the best in anything. Why should it be different for fish?

Some shows may offer a local pet class for walk ins and it becomes peoples choice for the winner. Again, most judges do not have time to look at them.. But for anything else the reality is are you going to spent money to send a pet fish to a show and back home? I have at least $100 in every show with shipping and entry fees. And I do it every other week during the season.

You want people to tell you you have a pretty fish, it does not belong in a show or this section of the forum. Enjoy him but accept you do not have show quality. You want to seriously breed good fish to show.. then this section is for you. The expectation is to see fish pretty close to the standards for evaluation here. Otherwise you run the risk of having your pretty fish ripped apart fault by fault.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #12 
Saber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
No. Don't have time for mock judging. Fish are judged and they win points toward year end awards. Shows are exhausting work for those that put them on. And there is the expense of ribbons and the time it take to judge. Pet shop bettas are going to fall pretty short of the standard.. and we are not into awarding subjective *pretty fish* awards. Just not how it is done. You do not see dog, cat or horse shows for *pet* types. Westminster is not going to have a mock judging for people to see how it is done. The expectation is if you are going to enter, you know the rules and how it is done. Shows are about evaluating the best of the best in anything. Why should it be different for fish?

Some shows may offer a local pet class for walk ins and it becomes peoples choice for the winner. Again, most judges do not have time to look at them.. But for anything else the reality is are you going to spent money to send a pet fish to a show and back home? I have at least $100 in every show with shipping and entry fees. And I do it every other week during the season.

You want people to tell you you have a pretty fish, it does not belong in a show or this section of the forum. Enjoy him but accept you do not have show quality. You want to seriously breed good fish to show.. then this section is for you. The expectation is to see fish pretty close to the standards for evaluation here. Otherwise you run the risk of having your pretty fish ripped apart fault by fault.
You fail to mention that Westminster has a Junior handlers competition during their show in which the quality of the dog is judged far below the handler's ability. This is done to keep new, younger handlers interested in showing and thus keeping the hobby alive. No, they do not allow any random old Joe to walk in off the street and join the junior handler's competition, but I wasn't saying these betta shows had to be officially run be the IBC either. Local chapters can run their own shows for fun with their own members. I know the CNY betta club did this at least one time in the past. Noooot sure why you're getting so defensive over a person's simple question.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #13 
veggiegirl

Yeah I saw that was one of Jodi's fish straight up too. Saw that pair when they were first put up for sale. Gorgeous unusual colour but from what I have read I believe his form is not the best.

Okay I agree this was just a simple question from a newbie wanting to learn about bettas. No need to over react we want to encourage people to the hobby not discourage them. We all have to start somewhere and what better way to learn than by asking questions.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #14 
Basement Bettas

Not defensive. There is an entire forum here for pet types and for those want people to ohhh and ahhh over their fish. The questions here should be serious about showing and what is needed to breed and show and the IBC. NOT what do you think.. is my pet show quality. Encouraging people to keeping bettas is one thing. Showing another. For those serious about learning the finer points of form or color.. wading through the "what do you think of Zeus" questions is a bit disrespectful. This is a large forum and there are plenty of places for that type question. If you read the *please read before posting* sticky, you will see that type of post is not appropriate for this section.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #15 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Not defensive. There is an entire forum here for pet types and for those want people to ohhh and ahhh over their fish. The questions here should be serious about showing and what is needed to breed and show and the IBC. NOT what do you think.. is my pet show quality. Encouraging people to keeping bettas is one thing. Showing another. For those serious about learning the finer points of form or color.. wading through the "what do you think of Zeus" questions is a bit disrespectful. This is a large forum and there are plenty of places for that type question. If you read the *please read before posting* sticky, you will see that type of post is not appropriate for this section.
I can understand that you are obviously very passionate about breeding and form. But their are ways of getting your point across without the need of verging on rudeness. People interested in about finding out more about show breeding need to start somewhere, and you could have just said, breeders have to breed their own show betta's, and no that one would not be anywhere close. Maybe given some links into what is required.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #16 
Basement Bettas

Currently you have to be a member of the IBC to have access to the standards. With the new site they will be made available for all to view. I have limited time so do not tend to mince words. And this is an ongoing issue in this section. The question asked was not appropriate for this section. The sticky explains what is expected here. There is no need for me to come along and give a *true* assessment of a fish posted here that does not belong. It does no one any good.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #17 
Basement Bettas

*HE* is a she.

It takes time to do a review and I am very good at doing them. It is a waste of my time and those reading to have all the faults of a fish not even close to breed or show quality pointed out. You ask a question you get an answer. It is ya'll that are making a big deal over the answers I guess you don't like. If you do not like my directness you can hang out on the rest of the forum as this is the only place here I visit. You will be safe from me elsewhere. If you are interested in purchasing and breeding quality fish that meet a standard then questions to that end go here and will be addressed by people that are qualified to answer them.

QUOTE: Okay I agree this was just a simple question from a newbie wanting to learn about bettas. ...

if you want to learn about bettas read the other sections and post there. Please leave this section for those serious about breeding and showing to a standard.

Last edited by SeaHorse; 10-01-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #18 
shannonpwns

I feel like a simple report of the original post, saying it is in the wrong section, would have sufficed. You said your time is so 'limited', so why waste your time repeatedly replying in excruciating details of how low minded and out of line anyone is for posting in this section unless they are a professional breeder/shower?
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #19 
Basement Bettas

Because of the lack of understanding and common sense.

And professional implies we make a living at it and that is incorrect. Just a different area of interest in the hobby.

And I believe I stated as much with my reply.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #20 
karenluvsbettas623

But this wasn't just a "pet store fish", it was sold for the purpose of breeding as a pair by a very popular importer, fishchick, how is he supposed to know? technically this post DOES belong in this section. I think they would be worth breeding, because honestly Dumbo's are not very developed yet, especially long-finned dumbos. Dumbos are attractive, and if they grow in popularity i'm sure eventually there will be a class for them in the ibc. If nothing else, they are very easy to sell. Honestly how many perfect Dumbo's have you people seen? because I haven't , aquabid has very few that have faults as well.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote