Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #51 
ANHEL123

If your tap water less ammonia than in his tank right now you really need to do more water changes as soon as you can. No picture that you posted don;t look like tail biting at all though.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #52 
ANHEL123

You don't have to put another picture unless he has new damage. That picture don't have those ''u'' shapes. If you able do another water changes right now about 50%
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #53 
anjelita

Oh sorry I thought you meant it was biting. It doesn't look right whatever it is.
anjelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #54 
ANHEL123

no its does not. Its just something came to my mind. I think you wrote before that your water conditioner required 60 drops? Why its so many? And now you put stress + zyme. Kind of too much ....don't put zyme. Did you see my post 51?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #55 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Anjelita,

Anhel asked me to take a look at your thread. Is this a pretty good summary of what's going on?

Summary:
  • Originally in a 2.4L tank with a heater.
  • You moved him into a new 12L tank with a new filter (baffled) and a new 25W heater.
  • You're in Australia. (Knowing this gives us an idea of what products you can/can't get.
  • You're using Betta Shield water conditioner. (Removes/neutralizes ammonia, chlorine and chloramine. Contains aloe vera and colloids.)
  • His fins are clamped and "stringy." Eating well (until yesterday).

Yesterday:
  • Water temp about 26C.
  • Did not eat his usual pellets.
  • "Barely moved" and is hiding.

Today:
  • pH at 7.6
  • Ammonia at 0.50 ppm.
  • Tap water tested positive for ammonia. (Possibly about 0.25ppm?)
  • His fins are having problems, and you feel it's fin rot.

Your pH is fine. I would not try to change it.

The ammonia level is high, however. I'm thinking the high ammonia level is due to the tank not being cycled yet. I would increase the frequency of water changes, and keep using Betta Shield, as these are the best ways to keep ammonia low/neutralized.

I have some questions:
  • What is "new" in the new 12L tank? (I see gravel, decorations, heater, plants, filter. Are these "new?" What about anything else?)
  • What was the water temperature in his old tank? Is it different from what's in his new tank?
  • How long after switching him to the new tank did he display symptoms? Did he seem OK at first? (And for how long was he OK?)

As been suggested, you may want to get a glass thermometer that goes inside the tank. They're more accurate than the stick-on types.

I'm wondering if there's something new that was added to the new tank that's causing an issue.....

Can you try an experiment?
  1. Note the temperature of the water. (Use your thermometer.)
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Rinse out the tank.
  4. Put only the new heater and thermometer back into the tank. (Nothing else yet. No gravel, decorations, plants, etc.)
  5. Refill the tank with water at the SAME temp. (Within +/- 2 degrees F, or 1 degree C.)
  6. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  7. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Longer is OK.)
  8. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  9. Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Longer is OK.)
  10. Repeat the above two steps, until about an hour has passed. (Longer is OK.)
  11. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  12. Gently release him into the tank.

You said that it looks like he has fin rot. Can you describe what the tips of his fins look like? Are they dark (black, brown or gray)? Do the edges look "smudged" at all? These are signs of fin rot.

Can you post a new photo of him so that we can see what he looks like today?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #56 
anjelita

Anhel I had to put sixty drops as it says to use 5 drops per litre. 5 x 12 = 60 drops. I do need some Prime as you mentioned.

That is a good summary, little blue fishlets. I did pick up a glass thermometer though so I am fairly confident that the temp is correct.

Everything in the new tank was new. I thought I had been very thorough when I got it all. I washed everything with warm water, and I ensured the gravel was running clear water and not dirty before putting it in.

I will try that today, and I think this will be my last attempt before giving in and putting him in his old horrible tank where he was happy.

His fins are dark and stringy. I'll see if I can take a picture, he is a bit hard to catch at the moment because he always hides.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #57 
LittleBlueFishlets

There may have been something new that was leaching chemicals into the water. For example, paints on decorations should be aquarium-safe, but sometimes they aren't.

You said that it looks like he has fin rot. Can you describe what the tips of his fins look like? Are they dark (black, brown or gray)? Do the edges look "smudged" at all? These are signs of fin rot.

Can you post a new photo of him so that we can see what he looks like today?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #58 
anjelita

this is the best shot i can get, he won't come out.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #59 
puplove52

I've had a betta since November 2012. I've kept him in a 1 gallon bowl with heat lamp. I've always thought I should change him into a larger bowl/tank. I realized that he is happy and healthy in his bowl. If you make a dramatic change in size etc it could effect his health. Since he is use to the tiny bowl you say he has.
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #60 
anjelita

I'm getting ready to put him back in actually. I cannot get the ammonia down in his large one and have no prime on hand. The levels in his old one are perfect, so I'm putting the heater back on and putting him back in, if only just to recover.